Ridgewood board gives commendations
WEST LAFAYETTE -- During the Dec. 21 Ridgewood Local Board of Education meeting, several commendations were announced. They included:
* Kimberly Brugger, fifth grade Ridgewood Middle School teacher, for passing her national board certification.
* Olivia Slusser, fourth grade student, and Trudy Oswald, fifth grade student, for their participation in the Child of Appalachia Essay (for Coshocton County). Both Slusser and Oswald won $50 awards.
* Emerald Valdez was chosen first place winner of the Vo Ag District Food and Science Competition 2009-2010.
* Casey Claxon and the soccer team for the first winning record in school history (score 6-5-2). First Team Eastern District award was presented to Amanda Bible and Second Team Eastern District went to Paige Erb. Honorable Mention Eastern District was given to both Jessica Olinger and Kalynn Bluck.
* The Ridgewood Generals had three players to earn First Time Honors as part of the 2009 All Ohio Teams. First Team All Ohio: Jake Conrad (also shared the Offensive Player of the Year). Other award winners Offensive Lineman was Troy Jones, Ohio Kicker was Skylor Mc Quiston, and Special Mention went to Nathan Anderson and Nick Bellik.
* The board recognized the following local area businesses for sponsoring the recent Senior Citizen Christmas luncheon: Chase Bank, Jones Metal, Jones-Zylon, Coshocton County Board of Realtors, Schwendeman Agency, Inc. and Unusual Junction.
In other board business:
* The following classified substitutes were also approved: Tammy Mainwaring (aide, cook and secretary), Tracy Wyler (aide, cook and custodian), and Hilma Wright (cook for Ridgewood Elementary).
* Larry Sturtz was approved as junior high wrestling coach.
* Justin Brierly and Loy Wiggins were approved as volunteer wrestling coaches.
The yearly organizational meeting and the next regular board meeting are both scheduled for Jan. 4. The organizational meeting will take place at 6:15 p.m. and the regular meeting to follow at 7 p.m.