The Newcomerstown Board of Education decided Feb. 11 to amend the two-sport policy for "grandfathered-in" high school student-athletes for the 2012-2013 school year.
The board voted 4-to-1 with member Steven Brode casting the nay vote for changes in the school policy.
The policy would allow former (or "grandfathered-in") student-athletes to participate in two sports in one sport season as long as they met certain criteria.
The policy change includes: The coaches will set the priority sport; a printed schedule is created showing both sports' games, practices, activities, tournaments, etc. noting where the student-athlete will be each day (this will be signed by both varsity coaches, parents and the student-athlete); grades need to be at least a 2.0 grade point average by the end of the third nine weeks and midterm time for the fourth nine week grading period shall not decline below a 2.0 or the student-athlete will revert back to a one sport student-athlete; and chain-of-command as described in the Athletic Policy will be followed regarding any parent complaints on fairness, playing time, and balance of sports participation.
The recent board's decision is only for former student-athletes that previously participated in high school athletics. For all other student-athletes, the policy of one sport per season remains in effect.
In other business, the board approved:
• Donation of $232.55 from the Newcomerstown Moose Lodge 1337.
• Membership into the Newcomerstown Chamber of Commerce at a cost of $50 for 2013.
• Waiver day on March 1 for an all-day staff school safety plan day.
• The resignation of Mark Sommer as the chemistry teacher at the high school, effective at the end of the school year.
• Richelle Lefler as a home instruction tutor for the school year.
• The spring sports schedule for the high school and middle school athletic programs.
• The transportation agreement with Garaway Schools to transport a deaf student to Columbus at an estimated cost of $3,800 per school year.
• The purchase of following textbooks: Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry 2012 Common Core at a cost of $10,883.15, and Pre-Calculus and Calculus at a cost of $7,849.64.
The board will meet again in regular session on Monday, March 11 at 6:30 p.m. in the high school conference room.