With students just returning from their annual winter holiday break, the Newcomerstown Board of Education approved the 2009-10 school year calendar during their regular meeting Jan. 12.
The school year begins Monday, Aug. 24, 2009, for teachers and Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2009, for students. There is a three-day Thanksgiving break, a 10-day winter break and a three-day spring break planned. The students' last day of school will be June 2, 2010.
School administrators also recognized board members for School Board Recognition Month this January.
In other business, the board approved:
* The Record's Commission to meet Feb. 9 at 5:15 p.m. (prior to the next regular board meeting).
* The Vernon and Edith Lee Fund cash activity statement from Oct. 1 through Dec. 31, 2008, at a market value of $2,606,488.77.
* The donation of $6,000 from Hick's Roofing Inc. for computer technology needs in the district and $164.15 from Moose Lodge 1337 to be placed into a special cost center within the general fund.
* Extra-curricular employment for Robert Rehard, freshmen basketball coach.
* Leave of absence granted to teachers Carol Boltz and Dan Weekley.
* Membership into the Newcomerstown Chamber of Commerce.
* The updated board policies with the first reading given to entrance requirements; promotion, academic acceleration, placement and retention; and early high school graduation.
* William Lafferty as a volunteer for the basketball program.
* Mileage reimbursement rate of $.55 per mile, effective Jan. 1, 2009.
* Annual membership of the Ohio School Boards Association for the period of Jan. 1, 2009, through Dec. 31, 2009.
* The hourly pay rate for substitute custodians, secretaries, cafeteria cooks, cafeteria cashiers and instructional assistants at $7.30 per hour to reflect the increase in the minimum hourly wage rate increase that took effect Jan. 1.
* The re-appointment of Shirley Osler to the Newcomerstown Public Library Board for the term of Jan. 1, 2009, to Dec. 31, 2015.
The board of education will meet again Monday, Feb. 9 at 5:30 p.m. in the high school conference room.