Five-year old girl rescued from burning house

A five-year old girl was rescued from a house fire in Newcomerstown March 19 due to her quick-thinking older sister and the help of Newcomerstown police and firefighters.

A pan of grease on the stove, reportedly, caught fire in a house, owned by Lorrie Glazier, located at 426 Pearl St. around 4 p.m. However, it wasn't until the girl's older sister, Jocelyn Glazier, age 11, walked outside to a friend's house that she realized the house was on fire. She, reportedly, called 911 from her cell phone because her sister, Madison, age 5, was inside on the second floor. Jocelyn couldn't get back into the house because the door had blown shut and locked.

Police officers Mark Stahovic and Todd Carr were the first on the scene but the heat and smoke of the fire would not allow them inside. Instead, firefighters Ricky Patterson and Jeff Parks rescued the girl who was conscious and awake at the time.

Madison was not injured in the ordeal but Stahovic was treated for smoke inhalation.

Reportedly, the fire was contained to the kitchen, however, there was smoke and heat damage to the structure. No damage estimate was available.