TEN YEARS AGO - 1999
Groundbreaking on schedule for November for construction of the new Newcomerstown Public Library.
Grace Anne Hoobler honored at Isleta United Methodist Church for her 45-year music ministry.
Death: Hester Javier, 77.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1989
Trojans, coached by Craig Collins, opened football season with a 14-2 win over Caldwell. Ryan Styer was quarterback and touchdowns were scored by Darren Belt and Chris Styer with Todd Kellem kicking the extra points.
Newcomerstown office of Community Professional Services Inc. to move to 149 S. Bridge St. in the office formerly occupied by Dr. George Tung.
Ridgewood Generals lost 25-0 in their season opener against Tuscarawas Valley, and Indian Valley Braves started the season with a 7-0 win over Smithville.
Former Ohio State University football coach Woody Hayes, a native of Newcomerstown who died March 12, 1987, named as one of first four persons to be enshrined into the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame. Coach Hayes guided the Ohio State Buckeyes to four Rose Bowl victories.
Deaths: Jack J. Jurin, 63; David A. Raach Jr., 22; Howard L. Egler, 83.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1979
Gary Sterrett named Newcomerstown athletic director.
United Way goal set at $313,000 for Tuscarawas County.
Trojans to open football season at River View Aug. 31 under new coach Ron James, successor of retired 13-year head coach Ward Holdsworth.
Newcomerstown Fire Dept. and Emergency Rescue Squad launched the "Penny-a-Call" fund-raising campaign with a goal of $5,000.
Port Washington-Salem Historical Society planned a celebration for Sept. 15 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Old Town Hall and its placement in the National Register of Historical Buildings.
Robert Decker re-elected master of Buckhorn Grange.
Married: Mary E. Maurer and Richard E. Donley, July 27.
Deaths: J. Russell Bean, 80; Mrs. George (Lillian) Wagner; Michael J. Armstrong, four; Frieda (Bonnie) Daugherty, 80; Laura Malette, 79; Diane Hilliard, 35.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1969
Local section of Interstate-77 scheduled for opening Oct. 6-10.
Duane Smith and son Richard of here won the Father-Son Team Traphsoot Championship of North America at Vandalia, Ohio, shooting grounds.
Local Girls Scouts win two top honors with their project at the Ohio State Fair.
Little Leaguers honored at banquet with Chris Yanai, master of ceremonies, and Rev. Fr. John Kempf, speaker.
Married: Carol Welker and Wendell F. Davis; Cathy Tyler and J. Fish; Rosa Mary Goff and Craig H. Moore; Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Hendershot, 50th; Mr. and Mrs. Rollin Norris, 50th.
Deaths: Irvin C. Addy, 70; Chester C. Berry, 67; W. Lee Thomas, 37; Margaret M. Thompson, 65; Delbert C. Tidrick, 78.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1959
Residents swelter in heat wave. Mercury stands at 90 degrees for 11 days.
Rt. 21 changes in Newcomerstown discussed at meeting.
Salem-Washington schools scheduled to open Aug. 31.
Personal property tax amounts to $63,419 here.
Rev. Robert Muffly is speaker at Lions Club.
Donald Widder, district governor, addresses Lions Club.
Edwin Tilton Jr. gets promotion to Air Force Captain.
C.R. Barlow and Kenneth Opphile first place winners in Heller Tool golf league.
Rotary hears talk on law breaking by Rev. S.P. Ozmun.
Deaths: Ethel Mae Overholt, 37; Mrs. W.M. Yingling; Lloyd Sheppard, 66; Otto W. Olson, 70; Jack DeBois, 70; William H. Mulvane, 78.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1949
Rev. J.J. Wagner returning as pastor of local EUB Church.
Miss Joy Zepp accepts position as assistant to Dr. Van Camper in the Education Department at Kent State University.
Approximately 600 Tuscarawas County railroad men go on 40-hour week.
Married: Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Goettge, Port Washington, announce the marriage of their daughter Shirley Ann to George William Medley, Gnadenhutten; Mr. and Mrs. George Wilson, Mulvane St., mark 50th anniversary.
Deaths: Grant Emerson, 80; Mrs. A.B. Buchanan, 72; Mary Jo Ellen Ray, two; Harry C. Beall.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1939
Rehearsals being held for the historic pageant to be presented at the 125th anniversary celebration.
The U.S. War Department releases $1,400,000 to the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy and collections for second half are waived.
New WPA order will halt town's project as expense goes up.
First local school clinic shows Newcomerstown pupils are a healthy lot.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1929
An Impressive arch and other improvements being made at the Athletic Field.
Mrs. Frank Rehard, Ft. Myers, Fla., entertained with a bridge luncheon at the Fountain Hotel annex.
Piano students of Miss Henrietta Lieser give recital.
Red Eagle Bus Co. gives banquet for its 24 employees.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1919
School will open Sept. 6.
Ralph McElroy has returned from overseas with a French decorated award for special bravery.
Edith Gardner and Thomas Strupe married.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1909
John Burris has purchased half interest in the Leech-Sells building on Main St.
The Union MP Church at Isleta is redecorated.