School district sets 'make-up' days
With about two months into the 2009-2010 school year, the Newcomerstown Exempted Village School District is already planning for winter weather.
The board of education approved five calamity days for the school year during their meeting Oct. 12.
If the school district exceeds its five "free" days that do not need to be made-up, they have designated the following days as "make-up" days in the district: Monday, Jan. 18; Monday, Feb. 15; Thursday, June 3; Friday, June 4; Monday, June 7 and so on, if needed.
In other business, the board:
* Recognized the students of the month in the district.
* Heard from Chester McVey regarding an afterschool activity (biddy cross country) and procedures that go with it.
* Approved R.J. Wright and Sons, Ltd. as a vendor for gasoline, diesel fuel and motor oil products used in the district.
* Approved home education students for the school year.
* Approved the Vernon and Edith Lee Fund Cash activity statement for July 1 through Sept. 30, 2009.
* Accepted donations of a telescope from Michael White for the high school science department and a cash donation from Moose Lodge 1337 in the amount of $149.49.
* Approved resignations of Lane Leedy, middle school volleyball coach, Sept. 17, and softball coach, immediately; and Ashley Patterson, middle school girls' basketball coach, immediately.
* Approved employment of extra-curricular personnel Susan Hinton, middle school volleyball coach; Nic Lute, varsity assistant wrestling coach; Mackenzie Cunningham, middle school wrestling coach; Nichole Eicholtz, eighth grade girls' basketball coach; and Katherine Carruthers, middle school cheerleading.
* Approved volunteers for biddy wrestling Donnie Stevens, Jack Lenhoff and Willie Weaver.
* Approved Adam Lefler as the middle school computer teacher that replaces Carol Boltz for the morning classes. He will continue as a study hall monitor at the high school for three hours in the afternoon.
* Approved Lori Stevens as the high school study hall monitor for 3 1/2 hours per day for 154 days.
* Approved Richelle Lefler as a home instruction tutor on an as-needed basis for the school year.
The board will meet again in regular session on Monday, Nov. 9 at 5:30 p.m. at the high school.