Newcomerstown posts new immunization update for all school children
The requirements for immunizations for children change from time to time. All Ohio school nurses and health personnel have been notified of the changes in a recent bulletin from the Ohio Department of Health. Listed below are the new requirements for students entering Kindergarten for the 2010-2011 school year. There is also a change for students that will be seventh grade students in the fall as well.
New kindergarten immunization requirements
* 5 doses of DtaP, DTP, or DT, in any combination, if the fourth dose was administered prior to the fourth birthday. (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis)
* 4 doses of any combination of OPV or IPV; the final dose must be administered on or after the fourth birthday regardless of the number of previous doses.** (Polio)
* 2 doses of MMR. Dose 1 must be administered on or after the first birthday. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after dose 1. (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
* 3 doses of Hepatitis B. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after the first dose. The third dose must be given at least 16 weeks after the first dose and at least 8 weeks after the second dose. The last dose in the series (third or fourth dose) must not be administered before age 24 weeks.
* 2 doses of varicella vaccine must be administered prior to entry. (Chicken pox)
New seventh grade immunization requirements
* 1 dose of Tdap or Td vaccine must be administered prior to entry to seventh grade. Students will have 14 days after Aug. 25, 2010, to comply with this new standard. Students will be excluded from school on Sept. 14, 2010, if they are not in compliance. This immunization is in addition to the 4 or 5 doses that were required in kindergarten.**
(** indicates new standard)
For additional information, refer to the Ohio Administrative Code 5101:2-12-37 for Child Care, Head Start, Pre-School and the Ohio Revised Code 3313.67 and 3313.671 for School Attendance. The documents list required and recommended immunizations and indicate exemptions to immunizations.
For any additional questions or information, contact Cathy McCrea, RN, Newcomerstown Exempted Village School District school nurse, at 498-8373.