TEN YEARS AGO - 2000

Newcomerstown Village Council and the Community Improvement Corp. were in negotiations with Caito Inc. of Indianapolis, Ind., to locate a new refrigerated distribution center in Newcomerstown Industrial Park.

79th annual Newcomerstown Chamber of Commerce banquet held at David Barber Civic Center April 26 with Joy Padgett, guest speaker. Ray Booth and Roger Bambeck shared Chamber Member of the Year honors.

Newcomerstown Elks Lodge Students of the Month were Jeremy Welsh of NHS and Virginia Oswald, Ridgewood High.

Married: Elizabeth E. Grant and Rev. Jerry Broschart, April 16.

Deaths: Rosemary Johns Wagner, 77; John William Shalosky, 56.

TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1990

Fire destroyed Lawton's New & Used Furniture Store and two apartments at 114-116 S. River St. Newcomerstown firefighters, assisted by West Lafayette firefighters, on the scene for over four hours.

Debi Hostetler, West Lafayette, took over the Main St., Newcomerstown, barber shop previously owned by Gene Poland, retired.

Mr. and Mrs. Rolan (Bernice) Reinhart, Stone Creek, marked their 50th anniversry April 28.

Deaths: Fred W. Lowery, 80; Daniel E. Decker, 49.

THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1980

Frontier Days Celebration set for Aug. 15-17 with planning committee including Mrs. Kenneth Duhamel, Mrs. Gene Myers, Vane Scott and Mayor Charles Holdsworth.

10th annual "Dress-a-Child for School" project, sponsored by Church Women United of Tuscarawas County, in progress with Brenda Calhoun, Newcomerstown's chairman, and Ruth Baker of Gnadenhutten, chairman for Port Washington-Gnadenhutten-Tuscarawas.

Married: Janet Sue Merce and Eric Dwight Ely, April 12; Mr. and Mrs. Alan (Naundice) Hart, Newcomerstown, 25th anniversary, May 7; Mr. and Mrs. Earl (Hazel) Roenbaugh, Port Washington, 60th anniversary, April 19; Mr. and Mrs. Russell (Viola) Myers, Cambridge, 40th anniversary, April 16; Mr. and Mrs. Clarence (Mabel) Thornton, Port Washington R.D. 1, 30th anniversary.

Deaths: Nina Widder, 91; Raymond Deeslie, 77; Harold Shaw, 55.

FORTY YEARS AGO - 1970

Charles W. Phillips, 57, editor and manager of The Newcomerstown News, died April 30 of apparent heart attack.

Bruce Biddison, Fairview Park, named NHS principal succeeding William Drewes.

Primary election to be held Tuesday, May 5, with renewal of 5.3 mill levy for Newcomerstown schools of main interest to local voters.

Trojan thinclads dominate Strasburg and Hiland in tri-meet.

Jim Schlarb, president of Cy Young Park board, announced plans for park improvements.

Married: Sandra Lauer and Daniel McMullen; Mr. and Mrs. Earl Roenbaugh, Port Washington, 50th anniversary.

Deaths: Mrs. Mary Jane Wynn, 41.

FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1960

Ruby Davis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Davis, R.D. 1, received her State Homemakers Degree at State FHA meeting in Columbus.

Chief Otto Haxton reports 18 fires in April with all but five grass fires.

Deaths: Mrs. Ruth Alexander Kistler; Earl E. Edenburn, 65.

Miss Lavone E. Thomas and Carl Robinson married at Renner's St. Paul's Ev. and Reformed Church.

Mrs. Olive Dungan elected president of BPW Club.

SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1950

Home delivery of mail curtailed to once a day.

Ohio Power completes modernization of company building on River St. at cost of $20,000.

Donald Pettay, Freeport, purchases eight trailers a Veteran's Court for $1200.

Miss Marjorie E. Addy and Ernest Moore married in Trinity Methodist Church.

Mr. and Mrs. Jesse C. Everhart, Bakersville, celebrate golden wedding anniversary.

Deaths: J. Taylor Fuller, 78 Miss Mary Kuhn, 50; Mrs. Kathryn Burris.

SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1940

Council approves parallel parking plan to solve traffic problems on Main St.

Flood projects get dress rehearsal while many in the area watch.

Band Mothers to purchase band uniforms.