The above undated photo is from the Newcomerstown Historical Society's collection and pictures Newcomerstown High baseball team members, possibly in 1909-10. Seated are: l to r, Charles Starker, Raymond Chaney and R. Dean Ley. Standing: Pete McElroy, Frank Norman, Earl Knowles, Floyd Rogers and R. Lellan Shoemaker. (Submitted by William Casteel)
TEN YEARS AGO - 2000
Newcomerstown Municipal Building struck by lightning, damaging computers and disabling telephone system.
NHS athletic director, Ron James presented Paul Parks, Newcomerstown, with a special award in recognition of his support of local athletics.
Newcomerstown Historical Society was selling "leaves" on a tree to help raise money for the Mary Hayes Dinner Theatre on Canal St.
Jan Shannon named to West Lafayette Council to fill term of Phil Shearrow, who resigned.
Deaths: Gary S. Ross, 48; Jessie Loader, 92; Paul R. Harbold, 61; Vernon E. DeLong, 72; Lori Couts, 37.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1990
Emergency personnel from Newcomerstown joined rescue workers helping flood victims near Shadyside, where more than 20 persons were killed and at least 16 were missing following flash flood devastation.
Glen Westhafer installed as president of Newcomerstown Lions Club.
Curtiss Jewelers planned to relocate from 120 Main St. across the street to 111 W. Main St.
Married: Carrie Ann Norman and Keith A. Gunn, April 17; Mr. and Mrs. Myron (Daisy) Hagan, Newcomerstown R.D. 1, 50th anniversary.
Death: Mabel Hursey, 80.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1980
Commissioners studying possible repairs to reopen Coshocton Co. Rd. 9 bridge, west of Newcomerstown, closed to traffic since August 1979.
Newcomerstown Teachers Assn. and board of education deadlocked on salary issue.
Mike Gunther, Gnadenhutten, succeeds Gary Sterrett as head basketball coach at NHS.
Old Glenwood School, a Salem Twp. landmark also known as No. 8 School, located on Co. Rd. 19 near Newcomerstown, collapsed and fell June 3.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1970
Village council to purchase mosquito fogger.
Mike Bricker leads 13-3 Trojan victory over Coshocton Elks baseball team in Junior League action.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1960
Rainbow installs Cathy Rehard as worthy advisor.
Nancy McCants and Pamela Johnson to attend Buckeye State.
Cynthia Roeder, Frederick Seiber and Clifford Wilson receive OSU degrees.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1950
Port Washington opens Centennial Celebration.
Carl J. Lenzo named manager of Cy Young Park.
Cy Young Park pool attracts average of 148 swimmers a day.
The rose garden at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A.E. Dillehay, W. Church St., open to the public.
Married: Patricia Evans and Willis Haver at Trinity Methodist Church; Norma Johnson and Kenneth Steinbach at St. Paul's Evangelical Church at Port Washington; Ruth Sweasey and Paul Johnson, New Philadelphia; Mr. and Mrs. John Johnson, Cross St., 65th anniversary, June 17.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1940
Over 300 Heller employees go back to work.
Town may issue $3,000 in bonds to start work relief project, a storm sewer on River St.
Court lays down rules for picketing at Heller plant.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1930
Mrs. Pearl Shambler, 23, and Miss Ruth Mowery, 16, both of Akron, killed in auto crash at Bernice.
Newcomerstown gains 873 in population over 1920.
Miss Dorothea Swigert graduates from Wittenberg College.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1920
Ed Pope appointed night policeman by Mayor J.C. Ross.
Dempsey Haines, roller at Rex File Plant, seriously injured at work.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1910
Cy Young is home for a few days due to injury to his pitching arm.
Thomas D. Banks, Charles E. Leiser and Grover C. Portz graduate from OSU.