TEN YEARS AGO - 2000
Journey's End Ministries of Newcomerstown received statewide recognition for the relief agency with the "Most Innovative Programming" from the Ohio Assn. Second Harvest Foodbanks.
Mark Wolff resigned as Trojan head basketball coach, and Mark Kowalski resigned as Lady Trojans head basketball coach.
Ridgewood school board approved the design for the new Ridgewood High School building; groundbreaking set for Sept. 15.
Buckeye Girls State representatives from NHS were Samantha Fickey and Emily Lyons. Matt Dansby and Michael Lawrence were NHS representatives at Boys State.
Deaths: Ruth Milhoan, 68; Madison Dobson, infant; Dorothy L. Boyd, 76; Willard B. Couts, 64.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1990
Brothers, John Koran, 21, and Stacey Koran, 14, sons of John and Phyllis Koran, Guernsey, killed in separate accidents one week apart. Stacey died June 30 as a result of an accidental shooting, and John died from injuries in an auto accident on Cross St., Newcomerstown.
Newcomerstown school board and Supt. Gary Sterrett approved extra curricular activities for the 1990-91 school year after the Trojan Pride committee reached $30,000 of the $55,100 needed to fund extra curriculars.
Jerry Beiter, West Lafayette, claimed his second Mid-Ohio Invitational golf title.
Newcomerstown Lions Club announced plans for a 50th anniversary observance in August.
Deaths: Jon Mark Neff, 18; John V. Spahr.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1980
Some 800 Ohio Power customers in southwest section of Newcomerstown without electricity for about two hours after a black snake crawled into the main breaker at the sub station and caused a blackout.
Birmingham School reunion attended by 43 with Dwight Edenburn, Ralph Hollingsworth, Ada Nichols and Pearl Myers elected officers for 1981.
Railroad crossings signs in Newcomerstown, posted since the early days of the railroad, being taken down as railway declined.
Port Washington Firemen's Festival July 17-19.
Kevin Mutti, son of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Mutti, Stone Creek R.D. 1, attended the Farm Bureau Summer Youth Conference at Wooster College.
Married: Janice VanSant and Thomas Lunney, June 27; Brenda Lee Booth and Richard Dean Casteel, June 14; Lynda Louise Bell and Richleigh S. Lemon, June 21.
Deaths: Marvin Randall Hunt, 5; Emmett Belt, 55; Robert H. Dowdle, 60; Florence A. Wiandt, 81; Charles P. Imhoff, 78.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1970
Earl Cooper, Warsaw, formerly of Newcomerstown, purchases Lloyd Geiogue's barber shop at 217 Cross St.
Robert Berg succeeds Roy D. Fletcher as president of Rotary Club.
Gov. James A. Rhodes appointed Wayne D. Darr, Newcomerstown, to Ohio Soil and Water Conservation Commission for four-year term.
Don Hoffman of Indian Valley Future Farmers of America attends week-long National FFA Conference in Washington, D.C.
Married: Barbara Ellen Kanary and Keith A. Houser; Barbara Lee Drake and Charles M. Collins; Patricia Ann Beall and Richard A. Bichard.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1960
New hour-glass shaped 20 x 30-ft. wading pool with maximum depth of 24-inches being constructed at Cy Young Park; Newcomerstown Jaycees sponsor the project.
Roy D. Fletcher, manager of Oxford office of Peoples National Bank, appointed chairman of State House Conference on Education.
Four new teachers, Duane Smith, Alice Smith, Harry Parrack and Karen Patterson appointed at board of education meeting.
American Legion installed new officers: Eldon Waller, commander; Preston Hayes, second vice commander; W.R. Parks, adjutant; Jesse R. Hunt, finance officer; Paul Clum, sgt.-at-arms, and Rev. George Shurtz, chaplain.
Deaths: Kathryn Mae Temple, 85; Mrs. Osa Gertrude Bond, 84; Mrs. Ina Bell Helter, 38; Charles H. Smith.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1950
Blanche Louise Keiser, 18-month-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Millard Keiser, dies from burns received when she fell into a pale of scalding water.
Cross St. project to cost $26,800.
William Ourant elected commander of the American Legion Post.
Virgil C. Wells, dies at his home on W. State St.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1940
Dr. C.A. Hanson is elected to county health board.
WPA men turn to odd jobs as projects fall.
Town's treasury facing deficit.
Total of 27 boys ready for annual Soap Box Derby.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1930
Council accepts Porcher-Opphile plat in the east end.
Miniature golf course opened in the east end.
Heller ball team wins three games this week.
Fire destroys barn on Gershome Ames farm.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1920
F.J. Rohrbacker buys Goudy property at corner of River and Church streets.
The Longshore building, Main St., is sold to Davis.
Paul Kinsey resigns as treasurer of Newcomerstown Produce Co. and is succeeded by J.J. Gainor, Newark. H.H. Schweppe succeeded Ledley Barnett who also resigned.
Miss Ethel Kendleberger is married to Victor Staneart of Uhrichsville.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1910
A.A. Schear and J.B. Klein have secured the agency for U Auto Varnish Co.
William Moore, jewelry, has sold his business to C.E. Brothers of Beverly.
Mrs. E.G. Kuhn is seriously injured when tossed by angry cow.
Royal Anglers Club camps at McCollum Grove.