The Newcomerstown Board of Education recently approved the employment of Kathy Fenton as an aide to Linda Russell.
Fenton will assist Russell who works with visually impaired students in the Newcomerstown Exempted Village School District by using brailing educational materials.
Fenton has previously worked as an aide in the school system and has experience with Braille reading materials for visually impaired individuals. She currently provides assistance to one visually impaired student that is in the Newcomerstown school system.
According to a report given during the board of education meeting, the company that provides the educational materials for the school system does not readily have Braille materials available and would have to manufacture the specially designed format which could take several months to complete.
Instead, with Fenton's assistance, the special educational materials could be expedited to the student much quicker.
The following items were also approved during the Oct. 11 meeting:
* Nancy Paullin-Vigil was approved as speech therapist effective Oct. 4, 2010, through June 2, 1011. She will work six hours per day, four days per week at a rate of $63 per hour.
* Approved the five-year financial forecast as of Oct. 1.
* Approved a donation of $13,677.50 from the Rosenberry Foundation for the purchase of automated computer aided software for the Newcomerstown High School.
* Accepted the resignation of Mario Lovrinic, seventh grade basketball coach, effective immediately.
* Approved a one-year contract for Jack Lenoff, middle school wrestling coach, stipend of $2,665.
* Approval of Dan Leakey as volunteer at the high school.
* Approved Lorraine George as mentor to Lindsay Parson with a stipend of $1,066.
* Approved Michael Baker as a middle school in-school suspension monitor two days per week on an as needed basis. Baker will also serve as Achievement Test Intervention for at risk students one day per week. He will receive substitute rate of pay, $75 per day.
Board entered executive session to discuss employment compensation or dismissal of personnel. No action known at this time.