TEN YEARS AGO - 2001
Michael Lawrence, son of Bill and Debbie Lawrence, Newcomerstown, received his Eagle Scout Award.
West Union United Methodist Church, Gilmore, celebrating 175th anniversary June 24.
Coshocton's Richard Downing Airport approved for $150,000 for improvements from the Federal Aviation Authority.
Married: Jennifer Susanne Williams and 1LT Jerry L. Sarchet Jr., Dec. 20, 2000.
Deaths: B. Kathryn Lukens, 91; Barbara Davis Bledsoe, 56; Mildred "Nannan" Braniger, 88; JoAnn Cabot, 76.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1991
Old Cooley Hotel building, Canal St., purchased from Newcomerstown Historical Society by Dover-New Philadelphia businessman.
Stephen Maxwell named to fill vacancy on Newcomerstown school board created by resignation of Dr. Terry Overholser.
Married: Dr. and Mrs. J.H. Waelde, Newcomerstown, 50th anniversary; Mr. and Mrs. Encil (Gladys) Mason, Newcomerstown, 50th anniversary, June 14.
Deaths: Virgil Ervin, 63; Betty McCrone, 68; Annabelle T. Porcher, 75.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1981
Charlie Huggins resigned as head basketball coach of Indian Valley South Rebels after 11 years during which he accomplished a 239-31 record and two state championships.
Steve Swigert succeeded James Moner as president of Newcomerstown Lions Club.
Denise Rush, Todd Gault, Terry Gaskill and Gary Fenton comprised the 1981 Confirmation Class at St. Paul Lutheran Church, pastored by Rev. W.O. Calvert.
Deaths: Clark E. Miller, 83; Nancy Cappel, 49; Kenneth Chaney, 67; Mrs. Oliver (Millie Edith) Buser; Mrs. Joseph (Virginia) McHenry, 53; Ruby E. Fleming, 79; Willard (Bill) Gunn, 58.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1971
Jacquie Sharrock, daughter of the Max Sharrock's, Newcomerstown, and a fifth grader at East School, named Little Miss Clayland.
Temperatures in the 90's during the week.
Caroline Dennis succeeds Janet Mitchell as worthy advisor of Rainbow Girls.
Red Cross collections: Newcomerstown and Oxford Twp., $1,515.38; Port Washington and Salem Twp., $141.74; Washington Twp., $263.65, and Perry Twp., $116.25.
Married: Janis Carol Berssengruegge an Lawrence A. Wallentinson Jr.; Mr. and Mrs. Jessie Hunt, 50th wedding anniversary.
Deaths: Leona Martin, 72; Earl R. Duff; Howard S. Howell, 75.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1961
Mercury falls to 43 as summer arrives.
Dr. J. Phil Mozena takes over the position of Dr. James Somerville, veterinarian.
W.E. Ourant appointed to library board.
Graham Marshall installed as head of Rotary Club.
Married: Charles R. Pollock and Marilyn Robinson; James Freehahn and Sally Edwards; Samuel K. McVey and Nancy L. Shaffer, June 10; Peggy Cross and Theodore Darr; Ruehame Milligan and Jerry R. Jordan; Beverly Wynn and George W. Fenton; Ruth Emerson and John Kistler; Janet Portz and William Humes; Beverly Sue Grubbs and John Berger; Grace Kohl and Orval Dulaney; Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Caldwell, 50th anniversary.
Deaths: Arthur C. Sumers, 57; Mae Mercer, 71; Dollie Lyons, 82.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1951
Ralph Braden, Cambridge, succeeds Fred Lowery as high school principal.
Pfc. Paul F. Affolter, 19, in critical condition in a Japanese hospital after being wounded in action.
$2,000 fire swept through Ortt Motor Co., Canal St., as result of employees undercoating Cy Young's new Kaiser presented to the famous ex-pitcher on his 84th birthday.
Telephone rates increase from 50-cents to $1 monthly.
Class of 1935 holds reunion at Touraine Supper Club.
Dale Rice, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl V. Rice, received his bachelor of arts degree at Muskingum College.
Youngsters enjoy big day at Heller Co. outing at Athletic Field.
Deaths: William Mullen, 37, dies of heart attack at his home; Mrs. Willard Jones dies in Canton; Elizabeth Caddes, 81; Elizabeth Murphy.
Married: Barbara A. Berger and Myles Greathouse, June 16; Betty Johnson and Clair Murphy; Elizabeth Walton and Dallas Beal; Evelyn McKean and Earl F. Peitz Jr.; Teresa Green is Irish bride of Sailor William Silverthorn in Arlington, Va.; ; Patricia Willoughby and Raymond A. Ludwig; Eileen McClintock and Wayne McFadden; Dorothy Caldwell and Ray Parish; Mary K. Powell and Herman Banner; Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Peoples, 50th anniversary; Mr. and Mrs. Charles B. Chaney, 50th anniversary.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1941
Norman Bel Geddes visits his boyhood home for first time in years.
American Legion begins work on addition to Legion home.
Ben Robinson publishes new book.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1931
Council petitions state of Ohio to widen Canal St.
LaPorte's Heller team wins three games last week.
Rev. Otto Davidson and wife holding camp meetings on Maplewood School grounds.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1921
Willis George married at Bremen, O., to Miss Chloe Henry.
Miss Twila McElrey buys millinery store of the Neighbor Store.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1911
Conductor William Hensel loses right foot in accident in Columbus railroad yards.
C.S. Murphy, State St., married at Alliance to Miss Caroline Edith Wilson.
Businessmen plan street fair in meeting at town hall.
Erma, 11-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Brown, killed when struck by train.