NAPSI -- "Preventive maintenance is critical for keeping vehicles operating at optimum levels," says car-care expert Tricia Hecker, Head of Marketing for Mopar. To help, here are 10 items to check on your vehicle:
1. Brakes: Check pads, shoes, rotors, drums, calipers, wheel cylinders, brake hardware and the parking brake for wear and tear.
2. Tires: Closely inspect the tread and sidewall areas of tires for uneven or irregular wear. Correct air pressure helps prevent premature wear and supports fuel economy. Check the spare, too.
3. Battery: Check for corroded terminals and a bulging or cracked case. Test and replace battery if necessary.
4. Headlamps and Taillamps: Inspect and test all lamps to ensure proper function and alignment.
5. Shocks and Struts: Shocks and struts are the most overlooked service parts on a vehicle, but they affect ride control and comfort and can affect a number of related parts.
6. Engine Oil: Be sure it has the correct viscosity. Engine oil should be changed or replenished at factory-recommended intervals. Low or dirty fluids affect how an engine and its components perform and could cause engine damage.
7. Fluid Levels: All vehicle fluids and lubricants should be checked and changed at factory-recommended intervals. Key fluids include antifreeze/coolant level and concentration, as well as power steering, brake, transmission and windshield washer fluids.
8. Engine Belts and Hoses: Replace belts and hoses at recommended intervals.
9. Air Filter: It protects the engine from airborne contaminants. Poor airflow to the engine inhibits performance and generates greater fuel consumption. A new air filter lets clean, unrestricted airflow into the engine and helps ensure proper performance for a longer life.
10. Wiper Blades: The lineup from Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC's service, parts and customer-care brands of wiper blades, includes Beam Blades, which provide superior all-weather performance and aid driving visibility.
Mopar (a simple contraction of the words "MOtor" and "PARts") is the source for all genuine parts and accessories for Chrysler Group and Fiat S.p.A. brands.
It services Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, Fiat, GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai and Kia vehicles. A complete list of parts is at www.mopar.com. An interactive maintenance guide is at www.mopar.com/service/interactive-maintenance-guide.
Tire rebates are at www.mopar.com/service/#tire-rebates, battery rebates at www.mopar.com/service/#parts-rebates.