Eight candidates are vying for three seats on the Newcomerstown Exempted Village Board of Education come this Nov. 5 general election.
Those eight candidates had their petitions approved by the Tuscarawas County Board of Elections.
The candidates include: Leah Christine Penland-McMillan, Vince Nay, Chad Neighbor, Debra D. Perkins, Kenneth R. Shaw Jr., Mark Wolff, Arlene Mayhew, Shirley A. Osler.
Other candidates for office this November include:
• Newcomerstown Village Council (four to be elected) -- J. Earl McCormick (D), Travis Pollock (D), Heather M. Stein-Wells (D), Jim Trzop (I).
• Newcomerstown Board of Public Affairs (one to be elected) -- No candidates filed.
• Gnadenhutten Village Council (four to be elected) -- John O. Heil, David A. Frey, Clifford D. Bolon.
• Port Washington Village Council (four to be elected) -- Melody Lynn Alexander, John J. Bourne, John E. Little, Lori Goettge, Allen C. Wilson.
• Stone Creek Village Council (four to be elected) -- No candidates filed.
• Clay Township Trustee (two to be elected) -- Ruby Kinsey, Karl Kohler.
• Clay Township Fiscal Officer (unexpired term) -- Ryan J. Haney.
• Jefferson Township Trustee (two to be elected) --Scott P. Swaldo, Perry E. Beavers, Leon M. Yoder.
• Oxford Township Trustee (two to be elected) -- Jay Winkler, James R. McDonnell, Jim Carr.
• Perry Township Trustee (two to be elected) -- Richard Vernon Gardner, John Gray, Jay G. Overholt, Timothy Feldhake.
• Salem Township Trustee (two to be elected) -- Donald J. Meek, Ray M. Stocker.
• Washington Township Trustee (two to be elected) -- Tom Hursey, Micah Hagan, Tim Kendle, James Clarke.
• Indian Valley Local School District (three to be elected) -- Francis Picchetti, Larry A. Holmes, Kathy A. Roth.
In terms of local issues, the ballot will include:
• Buckeye Joint Vocational School -- renewal tax levy for improving school building facilities together with all necessary appurtenances and providing equipment, furniture, furnishing and site improvements therefore, and providing for the current expenses of the school district. The levy is for 1-mill for five years and commences in 2014, first due in calendar year 2015.
• Indian Valley Local School District -- renewal tax levy for current expenses for 5-mills, 5-years, commencing in 2014 and first due in calendar year 2015.
To vote in the November general election, the deadline to register is Oct. 7.
You are qualified to vote if:
• You are a citizen of the United States.
• You are at least 18 years old on or before the day of the general election. If you will be 18 on or before the general election, you may vote in the primary election for candidates, but you cannot vote on issues until you are 18.
• You will be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 days immediately before the election.
• You are not incarcerated (in prison) for a felony conviction under the laws of the United States, this state or any other state of the United States.
• You have not been declared incompetent for voting purposes by a probate court.
• You are registered to vote in Ohio at least 30 consecutive days before the election.
The polls will be open Tuesday, Nov. 5 from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.