Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. HOW TRUMP’S ADVISERS SCHOOLED HIM ON GLOBALISM
Aides laid out the case for maintaining far-flung diplomatic, military and intelligence outposts — and used charts and maps as a key part of the presentation.
2. DOZENS ARRESTED AS ST. LOUIS READIES FOR MORE PROTESTS
The acquittal of a white former police officer charged with killing a black man went from nonviolent demonstrations to some acts of vandalism for the third straight night.
3. MEMO: 6 OF 27 NATIONAL MONUMENTS FACE REDUCTION
The Interior Department is recommending that Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante in Utah, along with Nevada’s Gold Butte and Oregon’s Cascade-Siskiyou be reduced in size.
4. HURRICANE MARIA SWIRLS TOWARD EASTERN CARIBBEAN
Forecasters warn it probably would be a major storm by the time it passes through the already battered Leeward Islands later in the day.
5. SENATE POISED TO PASS $700 BILLION DEFENSE POLICY BILL
The legislation would also expand U.S. missile defenses to counter the growing threat from North Korea.
6. NEW OCCUPANTS RENT TRUMP’S CHILDHOOD HOME
As world leaders gather for the United Nations General Assembly, refugees invited by Oxfam share their stories as a way to draw attention to the crisis.
7. WHAT SALMON IS FALLING PREY TO
One of the most farmed aquatic species, the fish are being victimized by parasitic sea lice more and more as oceans warm.
8. WHOSE PRESENCE WAS FELT AT EMMYS
Skewered by host Stephen Colbert, Trump was the butt of jokes and pointed political commentary.
9. LADY GAGA POSTPONES EUROPEAN LEG OF WORLD TOUR UNTIL NEXT YEAR
The 31-year-old singer of hits "Bad Romance" and "Poker Face" has been battling "severe physical pain," according to tour promoter Live Nation.
10. NEW SEASON. NEW STADIUM. SAME RESULT.
The rematch of last season’s NFC championship game was essentially a repeat: Matt Ryan and Devonta Freeman led the Falcons to a dominating 34-23 win over the Packers.