WEST LAFAYETTE — The Ridgewood Local School Board met in regular session Tuesday, Feb. 20, at West Lafayette Elementary School with all members present.
Special recognition was given by CORAS (Coalition of Rural and Appalachian Schools) to Kimberly McKibben, Ridgewood Middle School fifth grade science teacher, for her accomplishments and awarded her with the 2018 Outstanding Teacher Award.
Officials gave a thank you to Front and Center Turf and the district’s Building and Grounds team for "exceptional" work on the football field and other areas of the grounds in the district.
The Treasurer’s report was approved on the following items;
• Schoolwide Pool Fund
• Pledge and security agreement with Peoples Bank.
• Agreement with the Northwest Ohio Computer Association Program of the Northern Buckeye Education Council Agreement for limited Information Processing Services (HR Kiosk Data Release Agreement.)
• Appointed Jay Tingle as the Board of Education’s Designee to attend a mandatory Public Records Training. (ORC 109.43)
The board accepted the following donations:
• Penny Mast to Ridgewood High School Drama In memory of Richard Evans, $50.
• RHS Flower Fund to RHS Drama In memory of Richard Evans, $50.
• Gordan Arney to RHS Drama In memory of Richard Evans, $25.
• Carol Lawless to RES, $50
• Lady Generals Basketball Boosters to RLSD Athletics, $250.
• Boys Basketball Boosters to RLSD Athletics, $250.
The Superintendent’s Report was given and approved on the following items:
• Approve Alissa Hardesty as a Classified Sub pending successful FBI and BCI background reports and drug screenings.
• College Credit Plus agreements for 2018-2019 with Muskingum University, Kent State University and Stark State.
• An agreement for Speech/Language Therapy service with TeleVine Therapy.
• Program Integrity Assurance Allocations for the District-wide Fiber Update Project ($42,628 (e) E-Rate Funded) with Date Serve, as presented. (Est. District cost $15,705 (e) which included $5,046 (e) of ineligible costs).
• Kirstin Slusser to assist with the after school program at Ridgewood Middle School for 2017-2018 school year.
• Policy Changes first reading of revisions and new policies as presented.
• Approved an overnight stay for the Ridgewood High School Choir to Nordonia, Ohio, for competition.
• Calamity day schedule for the rest of the year.
• Building and Grounds Utilization Contract adding Board Policy 7510 for use of District Facilities.
• Tentative calendar for 2018-2019.
• Security and Safety Update
Board items approved included:
• Ridgewood Local District / OAPSE Local # 671 Negotiated Agreement approved effective July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2021.
The Board of Education and other attendees were then given a tour of the West Lafayette Elementary School and were entertained in Mrs. Miller’s third Grade Class with a Student Descriptive Writing Activity. Students included: Andrew Kinsey, Lachlan Van Dusen, Brayden Hannahs, Alaena Huff, Parker Snyder, Wesson McPherson, Kylie Hamilton, Emma Carter, Addyson Jacobs, and Will Kobel. Next Mr. Jeff Larr’s first grade class gave a lively rendition of Phonic Dance. The board then toured the sensory room with Autumn Hendershot, teacher, explaining the criteria and tools used in the room.
Upcoming events at RMS:
• March 7, Family night 4-6 p.m. and spaghetti dinner, 4:30-6 p.m.
• March 20, Make a Difference program
• May 17-18-19, Ridgewood Middle School Musical: "Annie, Jr."
The next Board of Education meeting will be 7 p.m. Monday, March 19, at the Administration Building, 301 S. Oak St., West Lafayette.