Members of the Newcomerstown High School Class of 2018 will soon be celebrating the end of their high school days, receiving their diplomas, and making plans for the future. During the recent regular session of the Newcomerstown Board of Education, the graduation list for the Class of 2018 was approved.
The list is contingent upon the students listed having satisfactorily completed the state requirements set forth to receive a high school diploma, as well as having completing the local administrative requirements, and paid all fees, fines owed to the Newcomerstown Exempted Village School District. The commencement for the Class of 2018 is scheduled for Sunday, May 27, 2018.
Students nominated and recognized as Students of the Month included: Warren Baker, Kindergarten; Kendall Redman, first grade; Brennen Ingle, second grade; Genesis Jeffers, third grade; Evalena Beitzel, fourth grade; Kristen Gibson, fifth grade; and Brea Garretson, Newcomerstown High School senior. There were no Middle School students nominated this month.
During the Middle School report, Principal Jason Peoples recognized Middle School teacher Tara Supers for her participation in the E-3 Smart Energy program sponsored by American Electric Power and Columbia Gas of Ohio. Supers was able to obtain energy kits for students at the Middle School.
The board also:
• Approved Guarantee Trust Life Insurance for voluntary student accident insurance program for the 2018-19 school year. The coverage is for students to purchase on a voluntary basis if they wish to have the coverage.
• Approved three day unpaid family medical leave for Wendy Rummell .
• Approved Dr. Jeff Burrier to perform school bus driver physicals for the 2018-19 school year, at a cost of $50 per bus driver.
• Approved a bid from Cardinal Bus sales for the purchase of two new buses at $84,777 per bus, with one purchase for the 2018 fiscal year, and the other for the 2019 fiscal year.
• Approved a transfer for Jason Leggett from High School Social Studies to Middle school Dean of Students for the 2018-19 school year.
• Approved retirements for Beth Sellers, High School Custodian, effective July1, and Bib McClure, West Elementary Custodian, effective June 1.
• Approved transfers for Mike McKibben to first shift High School Custodian, Mike Patterson to first shift West Elementary Custodian, and Kyle Little to third shift West School Custodian.
• Approved extended service contracts for Kendra Gerber, High School Counselor, 25 days; Angie Cabot, West Elementary Dean of Students, 10 days; and Jason Leggett, Middle School Dean of Students, 10 days.
• Approved the resignation of Jason Leggett as Senior Class Advisor at the end of the school year.
• Approved non-renewal extracurricular contracts for: Alan Fish, junior high football coach; Tim Davis, boys basketball coach; Mike Porcher, assistant basketball coach; Chris Miller, junior high boys basketball coach for seventh and eighth grades; Vincent Winters, junior high girls basketball coach, eighth grade; Chuck Eicholtz, junior high girls basketball coach, seventh grade; Alicia Moore, assistant volleyball coach; Cora Thompson, junior high volleyball coach, eighth grade; Summer Jacobs, junior high volleyball coach, seventh grade; Jericoe Jones, wrestling coach; Frank Sanders, assistant wrestling coach; Zach Braun, junior high wrestling coach; Tiffany Shaw, junior high cheerleading advisor for football and basketball; Alisha Wilson, high school football cheerleading advisor; Ashley Duhamel, high school basketball cheerleading advisor; and Mike Hoskins, assistant drama coach.
Supplemental contracts were approved for: Jamie Lewis, Middle School athletic director; Joel Hillwig, marching band director, pep band director, and concert band director; Andrew Hall, assistant marching band director, and choir director; Rachael Bowers, yearbook advisor; Tara Supers, Middle School science, and Science Night for grades 6-8; Steven Pritchard, Science Fair director for grades 9-12; Rachael Bowers, junior class advisor; Adam Lefler, sophomore and freshman class advisor; Beth McCune, Middle School Student Council advisor; Cathy Ringer, Middle School Student Council advisor; Sally Lenhoff, High School Student cCouncil advisor; Walter Hines, Middle School National Honor Society advisor and eighth grade class trip coordinator; Steffanie Richter, High School National Honor Society advisor; Angie Cabot, fifth grade camp coordinator; and Cathy Ringer, sixth grade camp coordinator.
Extracurricular contracts were approved for: Tim Davis, head boys basketball coach; Chase Addy, head girls basketball coach; Jericoe Jones, head wrestling coach; Ashley Duhamel, varsity football and basketball cheerleading advisor; and Mary Lynn Berkshire, majorette advisor.
Board approved LPDC Representatives for 2018-19 school year: Nathan Mayse, East Elementary; Angie Cabot, West Elementary; Cathy Ringer, Middle School; Lorraine George, High School; Erin Peoples, Administrative; Christie Green, Administrative; Jeff Staggs, Administrative; and Ellen Hooker, LPDC clerical/ secretarial.
The next session for the Newcomerstown Board of Education is scheduled for May 16.