WEST LAFAYETTE — The Ridgewood Local School Board met recently and heard a presentation by Christopher McVay, an intervention specialist at Ridgewood Elementary Beyond the Bell after school program and seventh grade ELA teacher at the Middle School
McVay recently received a Communication Fellows Program Award from Ohio University Scripps College of Communication. He is one of nine teachers in the state selected for the inaugural program focused on curriculum development in communication from preschool to 12th grade. He will attend a four-day summer residential program and receive free tuition for online graduate courses, $1,500 stipend and $1,000 classroom stipend. The school also received three sets of 3D goggles. McVay plans on helping students publish a school newspaper and blog for the first year program.
Frank Mathews, board member, was recognized by the Ohio School Boards Association for his 15-plus years as a board member. Officials said his hard work and dedication to the Ridgewood District is greatly appreciated. The treasurer’s report was approved as presented. Donations for the Washington D.C. trip were approved from the following: Addy Funeral Home, Beatty Physical Therapy Services LLC, Darr Family Farms, Brian and Amanda, Gentle Brook, Grace United Methodist Church, Gracewood LLC., Janusian Club, Jeff Drennen Dealerships, Kyle Libby, State Farm agent, M2 Drive Thru, McWane Ductile, Pearl Valley Cheese, Peoples Bank, Precious Treasurer Preschool and Child Care, Schumaker Farms, WTNS AM/FM radio station, Wen Mar Farms, West Lafayette Rotary Club and West Lafayette Methodist Church.
Superintendent Mike Masloski gave the following items that were approved:
• Resignation of Paul Taylor, elementary custodian effective May 9; Thad Youngen Ridgewood Middle School track 2017-2018.
• Supplemental contracts to: Kim Baker, Ridgewood Middle School cheerleading; Dan Erb, head boys golf; Craig Reveal, head girls golf; John Slusser, head football; Chris Cabot, football varsity assistant; Nate Carpenter,football varsity assistant; Shane Stiteler, football junior high assistant; Brenda McCoy, head volleyball; D.J. Bradford, junior high volleyball; Lester McCurdy, Ridgewood junior high golf; Chad Lahna, football varsity assistant; Todd Cabot, freshman football; Dusty Shroyer, freshman football; Travis Simmons, eighth grade football; Linda Ondayko, seventh grade volleyball; Steffinee Webb, eighth grade volleyball; Heather Kinsey, Ridgewood High School cheerleading.
• Volunteers: Jason Lahna, Jason Prater, Chad Massie, Chad Carroll, Ryan Gress, Sam Carpenter, Ridgewood varsity football; Caleb Tingle, Ridgewood Middle School football; and Dan Smith, Chelsea Patterson and Kerrie Bahmer, Ridgewood Middle School volleyball.
• The school calendar for 2018-2019 school year was approved.
• Christy Nelson, Dawn Ellen Mathews and Steffinee Webb (Para Pro) were approved as substitutes.
• FFA State Convention trip and overnight stay May 2-4, 2018.
• Alissa Hardesty – Bus Driver (pending successful background checks)
• Volunteers for the Washington D. C. Trip: Jason Adams, Karen Chaney, Joyce Ellis, Blake Feldner, Amanda Gallagher, Kari Humphrey, Aimee Matusik, Heather Maust, Katy Meeks,; Sue Randles, Niki Shroyer, Jim Shroyer, Nancy Sirrine, Jessica Tubbs, Cassandra Webster and Heather Weingarth (all pending successful background checks).
• Rodney Merce – FFA volunteer
• Todd Stoffer, administrator 1 year contract
• Matt Colvin, administrator 3 year contract
The board went into a brief executive session to discuss security and facilities.
The next meeting will be 7 p.m. Monday May 14, at the Administration Building, 301 S. Oak St., West Lafayette.