TEN YEARS AGO - 2003
2003 Frontier Apple Festival Court includes: Mya Cole and Shebaray Corbett, Miss Liberties; Megan McPherson, princess; Marjorie Miller, queen; and Kenneth Wolff, king.
Shane Wolff, 5, and Miranda Shaffer, 7, won the painting contest during the Frontier Apple Festival.
All 180 members of the 1485th National Guard Transportation Company based in Coshocton recently received "Sonshine Boxes" as part of an effort by the Birds Run Community Church.
Ferris Auto of Coshocton has donated a 1991 S-10 truck to the Newcomerstown Booster Club to be raffled off during half-time of the Ridgewood-Newcomerstown football game.
Trojans remain unbeaten in the IVC.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1993
Plaque designating the location of the old village of Salem, once located between Newcomerstown and Port Washington in the area of the former roadside park, was being dedicated Oct. 16. Earl Olmstead of the Tuscarawas County Historical Society was dedicating the plaque Oct. 4 at the Union Hall in Port Washington.
Mayor Kelly Ault joined local Bank One officials Carolyn Lehman and Tim Roth in dedicating Newcomerstown's first ATM (automatic teller machine).
In football: Trojans lost to Strasburg 37-7; Indian Valley defeated Tuslaw, 49-14; and Garaway beat Ridgewood 37-6.
Death: Betty A. Whittle, 54.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1983
Newcomerstown Board of Education agreed to delay selling the Guernsey school building until Sept. 1, 1984, to give Guernsey citizens a chance to investigate ares for funding purchase of the building.
Trojans 12-0 winner over Garaway Pirates.
Ridgewood handed undefeated state-ranked Tuscarawas Central Catholic Saints their first loss of the year, 8-0.
Indian Valley South Rebels lost 7-6 to Malvern.
Ohio's new "Financial Responsibility Law" requires the state's eight million drivers/vehicle owners to maintain proof of insurance was to become effective Jan. 1, 1984.
Robert Guilliams retired as president of the West Lafayette Chamber of Commerce.
Robert and Evelyn Decker opened Decker's Antiques, Gift and Framing Shop on County Road 21 North, Newcomerstown.
Deaths: Laura M. Elliott, 95, West Layette; Enoch Tennant, 65; Walter M. Bishard, 53.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1973
Village council and striking employees of local General Tire plant discuss ownership of newly named General Street leading to the plant.
Indian Valley seeking $2.65 million bond issue for a new high school to replace North and South high schools.
Strasburg Tigers defeat Trojans 26-13; Ridgewood beat Garaway 34-0.
Junior Chamber of Commerce to sponsor Halloween Parade on Saturday evening, Oct. 27.
Mayor Charles Holdsworth announces plans for the village's Halloween Entertainment Night Oct. 30, to be held instead of trick or treat night.
Deaths: Herbert Cowgill, 70; Ervin M. Maurer, 50; Mrs. Osie H. Mercer; L.O. Curtiss, 79; James T. Martin, 63; Alvin Stocker, 68; Frank H. Wright Jr., 31.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1963
Trojans win third straight victory beating Conotton Valley 58-0.
Frank Sherry promoted to position of general manager for the plastic's division of Seiberling Rubber Co.
Newcomerstown Assembly of God Church presents "Harvest Time" service. Rev. Clifford Sutton and Evangelist James Tucker are in charge.
Jaycees donate $500 from their minstrel fund to the Community Improvement Corp.
Deaths: Mrs. Ella Moore, 82; Loy Laughlin, 68; Florence Eckert, 67.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1953
Joseph Ulciny of Bryn Mawr, Pa., joins Heller Brothers as assistant to the president.
Postmaster John Welsch and wife of Port Washington injured in auto accident in Galveston, Texas.
Fire destroys home of Floyd Garver, Bakersville, damage estimated at $5,000.
Rev. Ralph Dovenbarger elected president of Ministerial Association.
Deaths: Mrs. David Meek, 76; Mrs. Ellinor Johnson.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1943
Local bond drive $95,000 short.
Earl Treasure succeeds Dr. Stelzner as president of Rotary Club.
Newcomerstown now has three doctors in the armed services, Dr. M.V. Sheetz, Dr. R.F. Warren and Dr. Stelzner.
Joan Lieser wins audition to become a member of Capital University orchestra.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1933
Rev. D.A. Morris, Utica, called to the pastorate of the M.E. Church.
Kilgore plant resumes operations after one-year shutdown.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1923
W.C. Clow taken ill on train enroute to Michigan for medical treatment.
O.G. Britton sells grocery on E. State Street to W.R. Dillehay and A.H. Atkinson.
M.P. Church opens after complete remodeling.
Newcomerstown Trojans lose to Belle Valley.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1913
Mrs. Margaret Moniger breaks hip in fall.
The Post Office, Reed's Newstand and Hartline's Hardware Store are robbed.
Mrs. Cy Young takes out hunter's license.
Repairs on E. River Street bridge are almost complete.