TEN YEARS AGO - 2002
Black bear reported on Crestview Drive on Aug. 1 at 8:45 p.m.
Newcomerstown High School Marching Band majorettes/dance team collecting donations of money on Aug. 10 to off-set costs of new dance team uniforms.
Newcomerstown Tourism Unlimited Inc. planning trip to Nashville, Ten., Nov. 8-10.
Mr. and Mrs. Walter (Marian) Murphy of Newcomerstown celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.
Deaths: Charles W. McMasters, 73, Newcomerstown; Alva Clark, 79, Newcomerstown; Opal S. Gress, 90, Fresno; Charles Stiteler Jr., 54, West Lafayette; and Beatrice "Betty" E. Mason, 75, Newcomerstown.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1992
Local area crops affected by wet weather, over 11 inches of rain in July.
Mike Clark, 16, of Edgewood Drive, was named winner of the "program cover" contest conducted by Newcomerstown Athletic Boosters to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Lee Stadium.
Fifth annual Tuscarawas County Soil and Water Conservation District's "Drive It Yourself" tour Aug. 9 was to feature Newcomerstown sites -- Newcomerstown Landmark, Temperance Tavern Museum, Am-Bush Farms, Dulcimers by J.R., Echo Point Hardwood, Jones Grain Farm, Lahmers Hog and Beef Farm, and Mutti Family Dairy Farm.
Mr. and Mrs. J. Denny (Marlene) Ross, Newcomerstown, celebrated their 25th anniversary.
Deaths: Preston J. "Press" Hayes, 81; Anna P. Hall, 65; Kenneth E. Postlewait, 79.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1982
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) denied a petition from a group of Newcomerstown and Shady Bend residents seeking toll-free telephone service to Coshocton.
Mark Weingarth, Coshocton, purchased the Scott-Marshall Insurance Agency at 154 E. Main St., Newcomerstown, from Rodney Brelsford.
Kevin Hinds, son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Hinds, Newcomerstown, R.D. 1, was a member of the Ohio 4-H general livestock judging team returning from a 16-day tour of Europe where they participated in an international livestock judging contest. Visits included England, Scotland, Germany and Austria.
Steven Spielberg's "Poltergeist" was showing at the Starlite Drive-In Theatre. The second movie feature was "Clash of the Titans."
The 500 employees of Jones Metal Company, West Lafayette, were on strike since June 30, returned to work after their union ratified contracts.
Port Washington-Salem Historical Society planned restoration of the Town Hall, including artwork on the stage backdrop.
Deaths: Anna Elizabeth, 89; Russell Gibson, 84; Harold Harmon, 68, West Lafayette; Russell D. Clum, 62, Port Washington; Mrs. Edward (Lena) Kilchenman, 89, Gnadenhutten.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1972
Rick Roe of Newcomerstown High School to be Rotary Exchange Student in Brazil.
Newcomerstown received $20,922 from gasoline taxes collected by the state.
Married: Kathryn Berg and Randy Osler.
Deaths: M. Arthur Yingling, 82; Mrs. Roy Rehard, 74; J.W. Ruby, 69.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1962
Pfc. Richard Clayton Derrick, 18, dies of injuries received in an accident in basic training at Fort Knox, Ky.
Linn Loomis, Middlefield, hired as social studies teacher by local board.
Bob Leonhard, former athletic director and baseball coach at the local highs school for the past four years, accepts position as teacher and assistant coach at Franklin High School.
Four players remain in the championship flight of the News Tournament.
Married: Claire Stoyko and Charles R. Hothem; Marcia Katherine Police and Russell Eugene Winters.
Deaths: Mrs. Laura Neiderhauser, 83; Mrs. Minnie Angle, 87; Mrs. Bertha Reed, 76; Mrs. Lulu B. Noel, 77; William R. Miller, 76; Mrs. John Beauregard, 83.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1952
Hundreds from Newcomerstown and vicinity residents visit Heller plant during open house.
Fire completely destroys a four-room house on Canal Road occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Ed Streeter and four children.
Deaths: William R. Catcott; Maude B. English, 71; William Allen Greathouse, infant; Mrs. Vera Hannahs, 43; David Wayne Floyd, infant.
Goshen Brick softball team wins county tournament.
Miss Kathryn Johnson and John Wayne Berkshire are married.
Total of 123 carp turned in by youngsters at halfway point of Tri-County Sportsmen's Carp Derby.
Councilmen order survey for new sewage plant.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1942
Big "Junk Rally" scheduled for Saturday night with contest and speaking. 100 tons of junk is sought.
Pre-aviation to be taught in the high school.
The Assembly of God Church starts building church edifice on College Street.
Eligible list to purchase bicycles is cut down.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1932
Heller baseball team makes sensational record of 17 consecutive victories.
Mr. and Mrs. F.A. Richmond, Orange, celebrate golden wedding anniversary.
Clark's Grocery, Bridge Street, robbed of a quantity of groceries.
Harold Swigert suffers a double fracture of his right arm while playing.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1922
Miss Bertha Miskimen elected president of Rebekah Lodge.
Rev. Momberg, pastor of the MP Church, attends annual conference at Sabina.
Basil Smith and Lloyd Ley are injured in auto wreck near Uhrichsville.
Ex-mayor Earl Tufford lands 14-1/2 pound musky in Tuscarawas River at railroad bridge.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1912
Residence of C.J. Owens, south of the canal, burns.
The Baltimore Clothing Co. store is undergoing extensive remodeling.