TEN YEARS AGO - 2003
The Newcomerstown Exempted Village School District receives an "excellent" status on the state's 2003 report card. The district received a banner to hang in the school's halls.
Newcomerstown High School Head Football Coach Jeff Cook will leave the Trojans to accept a teaching position and head coaching position at River View High School.
Local basketball: Lady Trojans fall to Hiland, 55-41; and Trojans beat Conotton Valley, 60-45.
Deaths: Marvin L. Lawver, 77, Newcomerstown; Josephine Hart, 82, Port Washington; Kathryn Steiner, 77, Dalton; and Mary B. Nay, 91, Newcomerstown.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1993
Jim and Nancy Lineback announced they would close the Sears Catalog Store at 119 Main St., Newcomerstown, which opened here in 1969.
Donald Kohl, Newcomerstown, retired from GenCorp Polymers Products with 35-1/2 years of service.
Works of Charles Lenzo, CPP of Lenzo Studio, were chosen for a professional book being published by Kodak.
Local basketball: Newcomerstown lost to Strasburg 65-51 and to Caldwell 68-57, and to the state-ranked Lakeland Raiders 96-52. Ridgewood defeated Garaway 54-51, and lost to Tuscarawas Central Catholic 72-58 and to Buckeye Trail 55-47; Indian Valley Braves defeated Tusky Valley 56-48 and Sandy Valley 73-26.
Deaths: Clara A. Wiand, 72; Carrie E. Stocker, 81.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1983
Times-Mirror Cable Television Company announced closing of the local cable office, Bridge Street, on March 18, and local residents would be calling the Coshocton office for service.
Bill Thompson scored 27 points and Clayton Walker, 21 points, for the Trojans' 71-69 victory over Jewett-Scio; the Trojans also defeated Guernsey Catholic Central 61-54.
Ridgewood Generals winners of 57-49 victory over Coshocton but lost 43-42 to Malvern Hornets.
Robert Palmer, Willard Davis and Raymond Rose retired from Simonds Cutting Tools of Newcomerstown with a combined 116 years of service.
Temperatures ranged from a 54-degree high to a low of 20 degrees. Total snowfall for January was recorded at 20 inches (four inches below normal).
Cub Scout Pack 424, Newcomerstown, had its annual Blue and Gold Banquet at the David L. Barber Civic Center as scouts prepared to celebrate National Boy Scout Week Feb. 6-12. Don Norman was scoutmaster.
Deaths: Mrs. Charles (Virginia) Yingling, 77; Alva Greenwood Sr., 79; Mrs. Caroline G. Rieger, 79; Donald R. Pettay, 65; Everett Buckel.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1973
Village council presented petition signed by 35 property owners of the Scott Addition requesting sewer service.
Janice Thomas, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chester Thomas, R.D. 3, and a senior at Newcomerstown High School, selected NHS Homemaker of the Year.
Ridgewood Recreation Center to open this spring.
Newcomerstown considers coordinating a vocational education program with Ridgewood and Coshocton after voters several times rejected the vocational program in Tuscarawas County.
Local General Tire plant expansion to cost $2,750,000.
Indian Valley South Band to perform in Cherry Blossom Parade in Washington D.C. April 7.
Trojans defeat Tuscarawas Central Catholic 72-65; lost to Lakeland 85-71.
Deaths: Elwood F. "Woody" Couts, 56, mayor of Port Washington; Stephen E. Roahrig, 81; Robert Ringer, 85; Mrs. Arthur (Mary) Lacey, 84; Marvin E. Stepp, 52; C.A. "Honey" Thomas, 60.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1963
Three Newcomerstown residents, Mayor J. Arthur Tufford, Ross Starkey and Chester E. Sharrock become candidates for mayor.
World Day of Prayer services planned for March 1.
Jaycee Dixieland Minstrel set for March 14-15-16.
Deaths: John P. McGhee, 64; John H. Shaffer, 74; Mrs. Blanche Walters, 88; Eddie Mullen, 64.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1953
$1,800 received for March of Dimes in Newcomerstown; Port Washington collected $508.01.
Miss Jeanne Murphy, one of five to represent Kent State University at the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development at Cleveland.
Ladies Aid Society of Everal EUB Church holds party for 89th birthday of Mrs. Elizabeth Tufford.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1943
Job training program starting soon at Heller plant.
J.J. Gainor and M.O. Julien resign from local war price and rationing board.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1933
Local Elks team honored by representing Ohio Southern District for state honors.
W.M. Brode, local contractor, enters Grant Hospital, Columbus, for treatment.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1923
Newcomerstown is booming with all industries working at full capacity.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1913
Vickers File plant locates in Douglas building, Goodrich Street.
Mrs. M.M. Howes and sister, Miss Ella Mercer, leave the Globe Hotel.