TEN YEARS AGO - 2003

Niki Reid, Newcomerstown News editor, will take over the reins of the Newcomerstown Post Office as "Postmaster for a Day" on Wednesday, June 18.

Newcomerstown High sophomore pitcher Kristen Cochran gained honorable mention on the Division III and II Ohio team. First team selections locally are Cochran and senior Lacey Pugh.

Todd Stoffer takes over as the Ridgewood Athletic director for John Riebesell.

Cub Scout 424 of Newcomerstown introduces their Scouts of the Week: Johnathan Haggis and Vuctor Reneker.

Morgan Pharmacy in Newcomerstown celebrates 55th anniversary in business.

Hampton Inn of Newcomertown employees voted Cilena McCall as "Employee of the Month" for June.

TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1993

High winds caused extensive damage in the Newcomerstown area.

Newcomerstown Board of Education hired Mark Wolff as the Trojans' head basketball coach; Michael Gray as head football coach; and Jimm Morris as head wrestling coach.

Former Newcomerstown resident Mike Stevens of Austin, Texas, was featured in The News in an article on his accomplishments as guitar maker, builder and repairer. Among the famous people Stevens has done work for were George Strait, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaugh and George Thorogood.

Deaths: Lois Zimmer Craig, 89; Beulah M. Patterson, 93; Nora E. Perdue, 82.

THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1983

Tastee Apple Company of Newcomerstown, operated by Greg and John Hackenbracht, was in the process of expanding with part of the expansion to double the capacity of the company's juice-making department.

High temperatures for the week ranged from 81 to 91 degrees with average of 88.

Curtis H. Hinds, son of Mr. and Mrs. Claude Hinds, Newcomerstown R.D. 2, accepted an appointment by the Stark County Board of Education as assistant county superintendent.

Rebecca Lynn Watson, daughter of Richard and Patsy Watson of Newcomerstown, won the 0-12 month category in the "Cutest Kid" contest sponsored by the Port Washington J.C.'s at the Port Washington Firemen's Festival.

Stone Creek High School graduates held an alumni banquet at New Philadelphia Elks Lodge with more than 200 attending.

Paul Parker of Birmingham Boy Scout Troop 560 received his Eagle Scout award.

Deaths: Mrs. William (Mary) Rust, 83, Bakersville; Harry E. Ross, 84; Mrs. John (Carrie) Mitchell, 74.

FORTY YEARS AGO - 1973

Nursing Home Feasibility Survey for Newcomerstown and surrounding area indicates need for nursing home facilities.

Jaycees planning July 4th celebration at Lee Stadium with Terry Pollock, Jeff McCune and Dave Barber heading the planning committee.

Vicky Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edmond Johnson, Port Washington, crowned queen of Clay Week Festival in Uhrichsville.

Patti Huff installed as worthy advisor of Rainbow Girls.

William S. Cox, West Lafayette R.D. 1, named 10th District Outstanding Legionnaire at American Legion Convention, Coshocton.

Deaths: Hollis Stewart, 72; Harley Kline, 84; Herbert O. Muffly; Ralph Honaberger, 83; Kenneth Carr, 63; Paul Harboold, 65.

FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1963

Richard Duane Smith is trapshooting champion of Ohio.

Newcomerstown Council passes ordinance stopping railgrates crashing.

Death: Mrs. Laura Kedigh, 83.

SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1953

Wayne Harstine elected commander of local Disabled American Veterans.

Birds Run Post Office to close June 30.

Leslie R. Early, Howard K. Hothem, Maxine Julien, Marie Murphy and Richard F. Warren received degrees from OSU. Jeanne Murphy and Richard Sharrock received degrees from Kent State.

Newcomerstown Hi-Y Club receives honor award from YMCA.

Estimated crowd of 500 watches parade at Fireman's Jubilee.

Deaths: Mrs. Michael Gombar, 59; Pearl Edwards, 71.

SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1943

Robert Portz graduates from OSU and Harvey Reger gets a degree at Kent State.

Council will apply oil on streets if residents furnish oil.

Mary Belle Fairchild and Mary Ballantine are hired by school board. Jean Raspillaire and Ruth Klick resign.

EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1933

Elks State meeting here occasion for merchants to put on Dollar Days.

Stores to close on Wednesdays during summer months.

Robert Britton, Kenneth Johns, Willis Fletcher, H. Zimmer and Jack Menefee leave to work in western harvest fields.

Bakersville Presbyterian Church observes centennial.

NINETY YEARS AGO - 1923

Wesley Chapel Church, destroyed by lightning, to be rebuilt.

ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1913

Farewell surprise tendered Mr. and Mrs. A.A. Schaar, who are moving to New Philadelphia.