TEN YEARS AGO - 2004
Bonnie Tidrick, Medical Records and Payroll at Riverside Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Newocmerstown, retired from the care facility on Sept. 10 after 26 years of service.
Tuscarawas County Fair celebrates 154th year.
The heavy rains from Hurricane Frances caused creeks and streams to swell past capacity and caused the death of 9-year old Leah E. Mast, just outside of Newcomerstown.
Signs across Newcomerstown adorned the words "Welcome Home Mark Ridgeway" as the community welcomed home their soldier from Iraq.
Ridgewood boys cross country team got the top four spots to easily win the meet with Newcomerstown, Garaway, Claymont and Tuscarawas Central Catholic.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1994
Lewis Gilbert, 22, and Eric Elliott, 16, Newcomerstown, watned in connection with the disappearance of Ruth Lucille Loader, Port Washington, and the murders of an elderly Missouri couple, 37-year old woman in Oklahoma City, Okla., were arrest in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
Dr. W.R. Agricola selected as Newcomerstown's "Favorite Son" for the Frontier Apple Festival.
Newcomerstown Friends of the Library elected Marian Craig, president.
Local area football: Newcomerstown lost to Zanesville Rosecrans, 42-12; Coshocton defeated Ridgewood, 27-7; Indian Valley Braves topped by Dalton, 14-7.
In volleyball: Lady Trojans won their fourth straight victory, defeating Strasburg with top scorers Karrie Loader and Connie Shaw; Indian Valley lady Braves were undefeated in PAC 10 Conference with wins over Tuslaw and Manchester, led by Melissa Cappel and Becky Roth; Ridgewood Lady Generals beat Jewett-Scio and Lakeland, led by Kacey Hendricks.
Death: Homer W. Burrier, 77.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1984
Newcomerstown school board and Wheeling Township Trustees working on final details of an agreement to turn the Guernsey School building into a community center for residents of Guernsey.
134th annual Tuscarawas County Fair Sept. 18-23 with featured entertainers Janie Fricke and Moe Bandy.
Ridgewood defeated the Trojans 20-3 and claimed the Orange and Black trophy. Shawn Groves crowned Ridgewood's homecoming queen, escorted by Rich Gould.
Indian Valley South Rebels defeated by Jewett-Scio, 27-20 in closing seconds of game that ended a 42-ame Vikings losing streak.
Buckhorn Grange elected Mrs. Charles Arth as master.
Deaths: David L. Ault, 36, killed in traffic accident near Toledo; Walter R. Opphile, 62; Norma Larson, 77; Harry J. Stocker, 57.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1974
Village Council adopts controversial bicycle ordinance.
Kendra Gress, primary learning disabilities teacher at Newcomerstown West School, publishes book, "Primary Learning Disabilities or Regular Classroom Motivational Reading Bulletin Board."
Deaths: Mrs. Mary Swigert, 69; William Dillehay, 83; William Gray, 77; Hebert Salrin Jr., 53; Donald Black, 51; Raymond Killey, 65.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1964
Trojans lose football season opener 18-8 to Philo.
Curtiss Jewelry Store, owned by L.O. Curtiss, observes 40th anniversary.
Tuscarawas County Fair opens in Dover for five days, Sept. 22-27.
Halloween Parade set for Saturday, Oct. 31.
Deaths: Mrs. Paul Baxter, 64; Harry Anderson, 82; E.R. Myers, 42;Robert George Woods, 91; Mrs. Carrie Gray, 88; Charles Randles, 95.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1954
Deputy sheriff John E. Lawver appointed police officer to succeed Elmer Marhover, retiring after more than 25 years.
Total of $904 received for youth center.
Guernsey Homecoming attended by 106; over 200 attend Community Chapel Homecoming.
Rev. Fr. Schure of Mt. Vernon succeeds Rev. Fr. Talbit at St. Francis de Sales Church.
Deaths: Emerson Alexander, 83; Mrs. Elmer Portz, 77.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1944
Mrs. R.I. (Beryl Beauregard) Shoemaker dies at home on Canal Street.
Village goes back to slow time Sunday, Oct. 1.
Trojans win at Barnesville, 19-7.
Early frost hits local gardens.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1934
Rev. D.A. Morris is returned to the Methodist Church and Rev. F.R. Langell returns to local United Brethren Church.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1924
Buckhorn Grange wins membership prize at gathering near Dennison.
Newcomerstown baseball team now heads county league.
Mr. and Mrs. John Rufenacht plan to build modern brick home on Canal Street.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1914
Frank Patterson, son of Rev. and Mrs. Harry Patterson, Methodist Church, undergoes appendicitis operation at Mt. Carmel Hospital, Columbus.
Rev. E.A. Waterman appointed pastor of United Brethren Church.
Ortt Brothers purchase Hartshorn building on Main Street from Marion Davis and plan to erect a two-story brick building on the site.
Ernest Swigert finds turtle with initials and date "B.F.R. 1875" carved on its shell.