TEN YEARS AGO - 2005
Cub Scout Pack 424, Newcomerstown, had its Pinewood Derby with Zane Croft taking "Best of Show," Toby Hart in first place, Jarred Weaver in second, Nate Bourne in third, Tristen Durr in fourth, and Carter Parks in fifth.
The Holmes Wayne Tuscarawas Transportation program will soon transport residents in Newcomerstown.
The oldest and youngest runners participating in the Cy Young Run are Jerry Beaber, 77, and Adam Lenhoff, 5.
Deaths: Harry F. Langell, 90, Newcomerstown; Floetta M. Lawton, 78, Kimbolton; Marvin V. Miller, 68, Baltic; Wilbur P. "Bud" Miller, 88, Gnadenhutten; and Paul Stull, 93, Danville.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1995
Newcomerstown's July 4th plans were to include a dinner honoring veterans, Victory Canteen stage production, parade and fireworks. The Newcomerstown News published a "World War II Commemorative Edition 1945-95" to honor veterans and commemorate the end of the war.
Dr. Victor Cardenzana hired to succeed Grant Sheppard as superintendent of Ridgewood Local Schools.
Governor George Voinovich selected Newcomerstown High School guidance counselor, Patrick Cadle, as a member of the Governor's Community Service Advisory Committee.
Deaths: Donald W. "Donnie" Glazer, 42; Raymond S. Royer, 85; John L. Labak, 78; Gary William Dakin, 51; Bertha M. Schupp, 90; Thelma L. Matthews, 74.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1985
Fireworks set for July 6 at Country Lane Flea Market, owned y Denny and Marlene Ross, U.S. 36.
Newcomerstown Schools administration building on W. State Street begin razed and replaced by grassy lot. Administrative offices moving to remodeled home on S. River Street.
VIP open house held July 1 for Dukes Inn and Trail's End Lounge at U.S. 36 and I-77.
Newcomerstown First Baptist Church hosting community "Sing on the Lawn" Liberty Celebration.
Confirmation Class of St. Paul Lutheran Church included Larry Gaskill, Kevin Sorrell, Jolina Ford and Kenneth Stephan. Rev. William O. Calvert was pastor.
Deaths: Iretha Hutzel, 51; Fredda Black, 92; Belva Weeks, 86; George M. Warden, 97.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1975
Village set for July 4th with festivities to feature opening of Cy Young Baseball Museum and merchants' sidewalk sales.
Rev. Donald George Glasgow, Lansing, Mich., accepts pastorate of First Baptist Church, Newcomerstown.
Wilma Wolf, Newcomerstown, named Ohio Health Care Association "Volunteer of the Year."
New bridge under construction on Route 751 at Stone Creek.
Gale Loudon appointed Customer Service Supervisor at General Electric's Ohio Coil plant, Newcomerstown.
Deaths: Clement R. Barlow, 65; Bruce A. Rank, 25.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1965
School board accepts resignation of new Superintendent Spencer E. Douglas, hired to succeed D.B. Roeder.
Jaycees plan all-day Fourth of July celebration at the Athletic Field. Kiddie rides, contests, and $550 worth of fireworks planned.
Council orders 15 new parking meters for River Street.
Clyde Knutsen new president of Rotary Club.
Deaths: Mark A. Bordenkircher, Sr., 52, Coshocton, electrocuted; Christopher Harrold, 37; Mrs. Virginia Bowling, 89, Akron; and Lewis Parks, 76.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1955
Cy Young invited but unable to attend Eagles program in Milwaukee.
Robert Adams succeeds Harold McVicker as president of Rotary Club.
Frank J. David, 58, Chillicothe, named superintendent of Newcomerstown water/sewers.
Construction of new IGA Foodliner under way this week on three acres of land recently purchased from the James B. Clow Co.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1925
Fire on Canal Street guts three buildings, including Downs Grocery.
Charles "Dick" Reed obtains $2,000 verdict against Tuscaraas County Commissioners for accident due to bridge collapse.
Death: Charles Stoffer, 57, former city councilman.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1915
Mrs. S.S. Beeks and daughter, Mary, return after spending winter in California.
Rev. Chester Oxley, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Oxley, ordained minister of First Baptist Church, Marion, N.Y.