While the Village of Newcomerstown continues it's search for a new police chief, the interim position has recently been re-appointed.
During village council's Dec. 21 meeting, Mayor Steve Guy made the recommendation to terminate the interim position held by Mike Kennedy and appoint Ronald Pollock, a Guernsey County resident, to the interim position until a full-time police chief has been hired.
Following Mayor Guy's recommendation, council member Dave Hickman recommended advertising for a full-time police chief position, with salary being negotiable. Council agreed and plans to place ads in several area newspapers within the coming week were also approved.
Later clarification regarding the re-appointment of the interim position was provided during a telephone call to Mayor Guy. He said there had been no actual contract or official guarantee for Kennedy to continue with the interim position for any given time period. He said Kennedy had earlier been agreeable to assist the village on a temporary basis, following the termination of former police chief Tim Miller in September 2009. The police chief position will be open to all qualified applicants, in which Kennedy and Pollock would be eligible to apply for the position.
Other council business included:
* Mayor Guy wished to thank councilmembers Derek Hickman and Lehman Clark for their time of service and dedication as council members. Both Hickman and Clark's terms will end Dec. 31, 2009. Hickman has served on council for the past five years and Clark for the past 18 years.
* Council approved the employment of Shawn Lindsay as village solicitor for one year, commencing Jan. 1, 2010. Votes were five in favor and one opposed; councilmember Sue Simmons was in opposition of Lindsay's contract.
* An estimated cost of $8,724 was approved for explosive gas monitoring at the former land fill site. The plan will be developed by North Point Engineering.
* Additional and adjusting appropriations was approved to balance out the village's budget.
* Special 2010 committee assignments were appointed by Mayor Guy. The following were newly-appointed: Rick Roe, Recreation Board; Derek Hickman, to finish out the term of Heather Stein Wells on Shade Tree Commission; Camille Smith, Records Commission; and Dave Hickman, Tom Addy and Clark Smith, Planning Commission. Gregg Shivers was approved by council for an appointment to the Board of Public Affairs, as positions for this committee is elected by voters.
Council entered into a 30-minute executive session to discuss personnel and litigation. No action was taken.