Treasurer updates board on bleak financial forecast
Newcomerstown Schools' Treasurer Dan Stocker presented an updated five-year financial forecast to the board of education Feb. 8.
He said the forecast "reflected less expenditures than the one approved in September."
Stocker said this school year, the district will finish in the "black" but projects a deficit for the years following.
"We are going to have to make some difficult decisions in the next few years," he said regarding the projected budget.
The board also heard a presentation from Project HOPE representative Erin Peoples at the meeting.
In other business, the board:
* Approved the cash activity statement for the Vernon and Edith Lee Fund.
* Approved a list of OGT intervention teachers at the high school.
* Approved the 2010-2011 school calendar. The school year will start Monday, Aug. 23, 2010, for teachers and Wednesday, Aug. 24, 2010, for students. There is a three-day Thanksgiving break, a 10-day winter break and a three-day spring break, in addition to Good Friday. The last day of school will be June 2, 2011.
* Approved the 2010-2011 open enrollment policy.
* Approved the indoor track program and schedule. Joshua Branch will serve as the volunteer head coach for the high school track program for the 2010 indoor track season.
* Accepted the $233.78 and $152.89 donations from the Newcomerstown Moose Lodge no. 1337.
* Approved the agreement with the Muskingum Lakes Chapter of the American Red Cross for a shelter location in the event of a disaster. Newcomerstown High School, Newcomerstown Middle School and West Elementary may be used if needed.
* Approved the spring 2010 sports schedule.
* Established the Newcomerstown High School Wall of Honor Committee which includes board members Arlene Mayhew and Dr. Jerry Lahmers.
The board's next meeting will be Monday, March 8 at 5:30 p.m. in the high school conference room.