TEN YEARS AGO - 2000
Nugen Chapter No. 124 of Newcomerstown held its Annual Meeting and presented a 50-year membership award to James A. Stocker, Gnadenhutten. Alford Miskimen was the chapter's newly-elected High Priest.
Lana Paige Bachelder, 18, daughter of David and Dawn Bachelder, Newcomerstown, and a graduate of Ridgewood High, died from injuries received in an auto accident on St. Rt. 751.
Port Washington Village Council voted to place a bronze plaque on the Roll of Honor in the village square to honor all veterans of all wars.
Married: Tracye Taylor and Joe Menges, June 17; Mr. and Mrs. Randy (Pam) Lawton, Newcomerstown, 25th anniversary, June 28.
Deaths: Raymond H. Kiser, 91; Jane W. Helter, 63.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1990
Dale Gowins of Tuscarawas County Sheriff's Dept. heads up task force established to investigate series of arsons in four-county region around Newcomerstown.
NHS students Tammy Russell, Nicole Nigro, Christy Dorsey, Emily Fockler and John Buckey, and faculty members Gretcen Yerian and Judith Zeidler toured Mexico.
Married: Mr. and Mrs. James (Arminda) Worthington, Newcomerstown, 25th anniversary; Mr. and Mrs. James H. McCormick, Newcomerstown, 50th anniversary, July10.
Deaths: Mitchell E. Bonvechio, infant; John O. Bell, 46.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1980
Dr. Myron Saturski announced he would retired from his 23-year medical practice in Newcomerstown on July 25. A native of the Ukraine, he received his medical training in Cracov, Poland, and came to the United States in 1949, arriving in Newcomerstown in 1957.
Local Jaycees announced plans for July 4th "Freedom Celebration."
"That Holiday Feeling" theme of West Lafayette Homecoming parade. Judy Dawson and Steve Stein submitted winning plate and program cover designs, respectively.
Richard Robinson, Newcomerstown, appointed head of 1980-81 United Way Campaign's public employees division; Tuscarawas County goal set at $320,000.
Annual Stone Creek Alumni Banquet held June 14 at Tuscarawas Central Catholic High School with 233 attending.
Married: Nedra Kay Knight and David L. Shahan, June 7; Janice Royer and Ronald L. Brown, May 31; Mr. and Mrs. Myles (Barbara) Greathouse, Newcomerstown, 25th anniversary, June 16; Mr. and Mrs. Donald (Doris) Baker, Newcomerstown R.D. 3, 25th anniversary, June 11; Mr. and Mrs. Gene R. (Marilyn) Everhart, 25th anniversary.
Deaths: David Christian Zimmer, 74; Lloyd M. Ley, 85; Ronnie Lee Wynn, 24; Gerald B. Crater, 70; Ernest J. Vierheller, 90; Mrs. Wilma Johnson, 50; Lester J. Brown, 77; Rollin A. Stocker, 93; Mrs. Alma Welker, 84.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1970
Peoples National Bank here to tear down old German settlers structure built in the 1850s at 242 Cross St. for parking lot.
Gary Caviness new head basketball coach of NHS.
Lloyd Miller Jr., New Philadelphia, named principal of Newcomerstown Middle School.
Married: Patricia Ann Lahmers and Richard E. Arth; Becky Goettge and John E. Miller; Elaine Dyer and Burris Gardner; Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lehman, Newcomerstown R.D. 1, 65th anniversary.
Deaths: Charles Jones, 85; John Bert Phillips, 69; Thomas Cordrey; Eugene Henning, 78; Charles Cutshall, 78.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1960
Fire at M&M Trucking Co. causes loss of $40,000.
New Cy Young shelter house at Cy Young Park under construction.
Harry M. Zimmerman gets five-year service pin at Seiberling.
Death: Mrs. Martha Alma Duff, 83; Phillip Mardis, 80.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1950
Town gains 157 homes but loses 52 in population in 10 years.
Clarence E. Ortt purchases Mulvane building on Main St. from Roy Mulvane.
Dallas Beal, Harold Medley and Margaret Kirk graduate from OSU; Richard L. Reinhard from Otterbein College, and Edgar Fisher and Leland McFadden from Muskingum.
James Russell Tufford, 8, son of Mr. and Mrs. Russell Tufford, injured when struck by car.
Jimmy Taylor, Charles Groff, Clifford Wilson, Richard Robinson and Frederic Schlupp attend Boys State at Camp Perry.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1940
Scotts 5 & 10 store opens here this week.
Violence breaks out at Heller plant strike. A pole is dynamited and shots exchanged.
Sterling Faucet Co. completes moving of factory to Morgantown, Pa.
John Balch instantly killed when tractor falls on him.
Dr. George Hoglan, native of Newcomerstown, dies at Bedford.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1930
Norman Bel Geddes appointed official director of lighting at the Chicago World Fair in 1933.
S.A. Neighbor enters insurance business.
Joseph Daugherty and John Atkinson graduate from OSU.
Boy Scouts given permission to use the old Opera House room above the mayor's office for Scout headquarters.
Miss Frances Hinds and Earl Titus married at home of bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Hinds.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1920
The Carson Restaurant, Bridge St., sold to J.A. Edwards.
Beiter Brothers purchase Masonic Building at corner of Canal and River sts.
Mr. and Mrs. John Little, Birds Run, celebrate 50th wedding anniversary.
Lilburn Smith, Fred Trees and Merrell Tufford appointed city mail carriers by Postmaster J.O. Shaw.
John Warner loses part of his hand when it slips against revolving saw.
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Mullet celebrate golden anniversary.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1910
Miss Grace Hamilton marries Claude Arnold at Akron.