Pictured is the refurbished Port Washington School bell with enclosure.
The school bell set high atop the Port Washington School on St. Clairsville Street many years ago. The school was originally built in 1859.
PORT WASHINGTON -- The Port Washington Alumni Association Committee is announcing the completion of the preservation and installation of the school bell from the original Port Washington School at the present Port Washington Elementary School.
The bell was saved from the original Port Washington School which was built in 1859. In 1925, the bell was moved to the newly-built brick building which was used until 2008. At that time, the bell was removed and its refurbishing began.
Don Metzger, a 1964 graduate, volunteered to build an enclosed shelter to house the restored bell. A walkway in front of the enclosure is made of laser inscribed pavers purchased by graduates, employees or those who attended the school.
A dedication of the bell and its new enclosure is planned for Saturday, May 28 at 4:30 p.m. The annual Alumni Banquet follows. Any one who did not receive an invitation and would like to attend may make reservations by contacting Alumni Secretary Faye Welsch at (740) 254-9046.