TEN YEARS AGO - 2001
Hampton Inn opened July 20 at Rt. 36-Interstate 77, Newcomerstown.
Supt. David Branch said the $1.25 million renovation to Lee Stadium was on schedule. A new all-weather track and asphalt walkway around the track, new bleachers with an additional 1,800 seats, concession stand, restrooms, and storm drainage were all part of the project.
24th Times-Reporter Charities All-Star Football Game set for July 27 at New Philadelphia's Quaker Stadium. West squad all-stars from Newcomerstown were Adam Belt, Nick Belt, Dustin Kennedy, Tristan Mizer and Steven Pritchard, and from Ridgewood Todd Cabot, Kyle Crilow and Jeremy Rine. East team all-stars from Indian Valley included Derek Albright, Brian Collins, Tony Ankrom, Aaron Haney and Dave Knestaut.
Deaths: M. Leona Stocker, 94; C. Clifford Mathews, 68; Mary R. McKean, 100; James F. "Jim" Keller, 79; William T. Schirner, 80; Ruth Grubbs, 89; William J. Wynn, 79.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1991
Newcomerstown Emergency Rescue Squad Inc. hosted community Appreciation Day at the West School, where helicopters from SkyMed, LifeFlight, and the National Guard flew in for the event.
First National Bank of Dennison purchased the Gnadenhutten Bank One branch office of Bank One, Dover, NA.
Marcia Clarkston installed as president of Newcomerstown Friendly Welcome Club.
Death: J.C. Sharer. 65.
THIRTY YEARS AGO -1981
Long-awaited demolition of Bridge 1 on Coshocton Co. Rd. 9, just west of Newcomerstown, was begun.
Paradise Lake amusement park opened on Interstate 70, 15 miles east of Cambridge, employing several youths from the Newcomerstown area.
Herb Smith, Newcomerstown, shot a hole-in-one on 17th green of Hickory Flats golf course.
Strike continued at Alsco Anaconda plant in Gnadenhutten.
Anniversaries: Mr. and Mrs. Kermit (Audrey) Khune, Newcomerstown, 50th, July 29; Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Keiser, Newcomerstown, 40th, Aug. 1.
Starlite Drive-In theatre near Newcomerstown showing "Bustin' Loose" starring Richard Pryor, and "The Jerk" starring Steve Martin.
Frontier Days set for Aug. 14-16 in Newcomerstown.
Deaths: Mrs. Russell (Helena) McConkey, 92; Mrs. Frank (Elsie) Smith, 81; Mrs. Dewey (Martha) Phillips, 77; Mrs. Bessie Bradford, 79; Frederick W. Riddle, 64; Roger C. Rehard, 87, retired educator; Max W. Robinson, 57; Edwin Loos, 81; Mrs. Earnest (Marie) Barthalow, 77; Mrs. Beulah Walter, 79; Perry O. Atkinson, 72; Delbert Lower, 59; Frederick W. Riddle, 64; Mrs. Elizabeth McCune, 78; William Brown, 50.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1971
Arson suspected in fire that caused considerable damage to equipment at new Southside Park. Dedication services for the park held in Trinity Baptist Church, Martin Luther King Dr.
Community Action Group formed in Port Washington with Louise McComb, president.
Deaths: Naomi L. Secrest, 79; Frank A. Carruthers, 67; Freda Beal, 55; Robert W. Salvage.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1961
Lloyd M. Ley retires after seven years as deputy county auditor and is replaced by Lorin D. Gadd.
Construction of a building to house new bowling lanes here starts.
Qualifying rounds in News Golf Tournament begins at Coshocton Hilltop course.
Janet L. May and J.R. Basehart married in Canton July 15.
Deaths: Mrs. Etta Knight, 64; Mrs. John Norman, 82.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1951
Court rules $30,000 bond issue for storm sewer system for McKinley Ave. area is legal.
Duke Heller, Larry Longsworth, Wilmer Cochran Sr. attend Camp Philmont, the National Boy Scout Camp, located about 35 miles from Cimmarron, N.M.
Mrs. Victor Kopp, R.D. 1, and Mrs. Ida Kopp, Port Washington, injured in car collision.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1941
Residents of town shiver as mercury drops to 51 degrees.
Rev. Pilymire of the Church of the Nazarene accepted call to the church in Kenton, O.
Heller strike goes into third week.
Village budget calls for $26,170.83.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1931
Roy Merkel and William Couts injured when lightning strikes at Belden Brick plant.
Annual Presbyterian picnic held at Heck's Grove.
E.D. Swigert ships 40,000 pounds of wool to eastern market.
Council submits budget of $29,649.54 for the year.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1921
C.E. Brooks, former resident and theatre manager, killed in auto accident.
Abe Davis sells Candy Kitchen to Nasser Brothers of Cambridge.
Atkinson's Grocery, River St., sold to Eearl Rice and Ralph Waters.
Council licenses transient dealers.
The body of John McPeek, killed in the Argonne forest, brought home this week for burial.
Miss Cora Mumma and John Richmond married in New Philadelphia.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1911
K of P Lodge and Pythian Sisters to send a post card shower to W.J. Hensel at Pretestant Hospital, Columbus, on his birthday.
Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Brode and son Clancy, Mrs. C.B. Vogenitz, Miss Neva Tidrick and Ledlie Barnett leave for five-week eastern trip.
Mrs. Frank Wise dies following an operation.
M. Yingling has invested in real estate in Zephyrhills, Fla.
H.B. Rice has been appointed Grand Deputy of Tuscarawas County K of P Lodge.