CAMBRIDGE -- Southeastern Med was recently awarded $66,330 from the Columbus Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure to fund the medical center's Power Me Pink program. Southeastern Med was one of 34 breast health programs to receive more than $1.9 million in funding from Komen Columbus.
"We are happy to award these grants to programs and organizations in our 30-county service area that directly impact thousands of women who are underserved and uninsured," said Katie Carter, executive director of Komen Columbus. "Our grantees use the money awarded for many programs including screening, education, treatment, survivor support and outreach programs. Together, we are driven by Komen's mission to save lives and end breast cancer forever and every dollar raised takes us one step closer to achieving that goal."
Southeastern Med's Power Me Pink program provides women who are uninsured and underinsured with breast health education, clinical breast exams, mammograms and additional testing if necessary. The program serves women 35 years and older who earn between 250-300 percent of the poverty level with breast health education and mammograms. The project also reaches women younger than 35 years of age who have a family history of breast cancer.
"This funding will allow the Power Me Pink program here at Southeastern Med to continue to provide lifesaving screening and early detection services to women and men in our local communities," said Jen Fannin, manager of the Cancer Registry at Southeastern Med. "We are excited to be able to enhance the services we provide, and this grant runs parallel with our mission to improve the health of the people and communities we serve."
To learn more about Southeastern Med's Power Me Pink Program or to see if you qualify for a free screening, call 740-435-2500.
The funds that make Southeastern Med's Power Me Pink program possible are due to the generosity of Komen Columbus supporters -- notably the more than 50,000 people who participated in the 2011 Komen Columbus Race for the Cure. Komen Columbus has raised more than $19 million since it began in 1993; 75 percent of that money stays in its 30-county service area and is used to conduct breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs. The other 25 percent goes to Susan G. Komen for the Cure to fund national breast cancer research programs.
For information, visit www.komencolumbus.org or call the Komen Columbus office at 614-297-8155.