Full Name: Denton True Young
Born: March 29, 1867, Gilmore, Ohio
Died: Nov. 4, 1955, Newcomerstown, Ohio
* Got the nickname "Cy" because of his cyclone-like fastball.
* Made his major league debut at the age of 23 for Cleveland against Chicago. In that debut, he pitched a three-hitter and won the game 8-1.
* He pitched for 22 years and won 511 games which is still a record today.
* He also holds the record for most losses in a career with 313.
* He holds the major league record for complete games with 751.
* He holds the major league record for innings pitched with 7,356.
* He is fourth on the all time list for shutouts with 76.
* He won 20 or more games in sixteen seasons.
* He won 30 or more games in five seasons.
* He started 40 or more games in eleven times in his career.
* For the decade of the 1890s, he averaged 27 wins and 3.05 ERA.
* For the decade of 1900s, he averaged 27 wins and a 2.12 ERA.
* He pitched three no-hitters, including one perfect game.
* He led the league in shutouts seven times.
* He led the league in wins four times.
* He had a career ERA of 2.63.
* Has an award named after him that is given annually to the best pitchers in the American and National Leagues.
* Was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1937. (Information obtained from the official Cy Young web site, www.cmgww.com/baseball)