The Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County recently recognized its "Heroes of Preservation" awards that are given in recognition of the preservation or restoration of architecturally significant houses or buildings.
This year's winners include:
Newcomerstown Library, 123 Bridge St., Newcomerstown, Library annex, built in 1899 as a bank, restored about 1999.
Steve and Connie Barker, 336 Cross St., Newcomerstown, house was built c. 1898.
George and Janet Gore, 430 Cross St., Newcomerstown, house built c. 1902.
Heritage Home plaque -- awarded for houses built prior to 1901 that have been preserved/restored to original design and for which the chain of ownership can be documented back to the original owner
• 515 N. Walnut St., Dover, owned by Joseph and Cathy Patashinsky. Built in 1867 for Israel Ricksecker, who owned the first jewelry store in Dover, it remained in the Ricksecker family for 143 years until purchased by the Patashinskys four years ago. One story that has endured is that the front porch pillars of the home were salvaged from the home of Dover, co-founder Christian Deardorff, when it was being torn down.
• 3623 Gibbs Lane, Dover, owned by Jeff and Susan Miller. This 1-1/2 story Greek Revival frame home was built in the 1840s for Jacob Braucher. Originally located on Factory Street (now Tuscarawas Avenue), most people thought it should be torn down, as it was in horrible condition. Instead it was purchased by the Millers in 1996, as it was about to be razed, and moved to Gibbs Lane. It is now the home of the Millers' daughter Janelle and her family. Janelle and Jeff restored the historic house together.
Historic Marker plaque -- awarded for buildings that never were houses, or are no longer used as houses, or are associated with a famous person. The chain of ownership must also be documented.
• 214 Main St., Zoar, owned by Rick and Diane Geis. The two-story brick home was built in 1877 for the family of Louis Zimmerman. It was known as the Treasurer's house because Mr. Zimmerman served as treasurer of the communal Zoar Separatists Society and oversaw the division of property when the Society disbanded in the 1890s. In addition to residing in the home, Rick and Diane operate a bed and breakfast there, as well as an antique shop.
• 221 W. Canal St., Newcomerstown -- The Temperance Tavern Museum owned by the Newcomerstown Historical Society. The two story frame Greek Revival building was built in 1841 for Andrew Creter. Located between the Ohio-Erie canal and a stagecoach line it served as the Creter residence and a tavern and inn. The tavern, located in the basement, did not serve alcohol, hence the name. The Creter family resided on the first floor; female guests were lodged on the second floor, and male guests were locked in the attic. The tavern closed when Mr. Creter died in 1863. The building was purchased and opened as a museum in 1974.
The Heritage Home Association of Tuscarawas County is a non-profit Ohio corporation dedicated to the preservation and documentation of the architecturally and historically significant homes and buildings of Tuscarawas County. The Association endeavors to develop and encourage interest within the community in preserving these historic structures, to cultivate appreciation of this part of our local heritage, and to educate individuals interested in preserving or restoring local homes and other buildings.