It was just four months from the devastating Wall Street crash of 1929 and the beginning of what America knew as the Great Depression.
Hotel entrepreneur John Cooley had a dream of a great, new modern hotel for Newcomerstown.
According to a news clipping from the June 9, 1929, edition of the Columbus Dispatch, a new four-story brick and terra cotta hotel is being planned to be constructed in the middle of the business district in Newcomerstown. The cost for the new hotel is at $150,000. The building will be 50 foot high, and 90 foot depth.
Cooley, the owner of the Fountain Hotel (located next to the Newcomerstown Union Depot) is planning for the new hotel building to have fifty rooms, a lunch room, dining room, barber shop, and spacious lobby with textured walls. The hotel will be of fire proof construction. The interior finish of the first level will be of black walnut wood with a terrazzo floor. The remainder of the building will be finished in gum wood. The building is of an Italian Rennaisance design. The architect for the project is Ray Sims.
Following the Oct. 29, 1929, Wall Street crash and many, many persons, and businesses all over the United States loosing thousands of dollars within one day, Cooley halted the project.
The building was left standing in the midst of unfinished construction, never to be completed. The upper floors were never completed, the interior was basically nothing more than a shell of dream of what is was intended to be. Cooley eventually lost the building in 1931 and the structure was sold at a sheriff's sale for $26,000. The building sat vacant for many years and at one time a hospital was being considered to occupy the structure.
In the early 1960s, it housed Globe Industries, which was a small factory that manufactured mattresses, and cushions. The factory either ceased production, or relocated after several years. The building was once again vacated, then was eventually sold to New York City fashion designer, Shannon Rogers whom had family roots in Newcomerstown. The building was planned to house Rogers's fashion collection until Rogers decided to donate his collection to the Kent State University School of Design archives. The building was then donated to the Newcomerstown Historical Society who used it for storage for several years. The Newcomerstown Chamber also held dinners in the structure over the years, and the Historical Society also had used the building for several of their events, one being a quilt show during the 1976 Bicentennial celebration.
The current owner, David Kinsey of Dover, purchased the property in 1991 with intentions of developing it. The property has taken a major decline over the past several years and is now being ordered by the Tuscarawas County Health Department to be razed due to Newcomerstown officials being concerned with the run-down appearance, and potentially unsafe conditions.
Effective on March 1, 2016, Kinsey was given 45 days to have the structure razed.