Authorities of the Ohio State Highway Patrol have identified the suspect in a high-speed chase that ended in a crash near Salt Fork State Park on Friday morning.

Fabian Potter II, 30, of Canton, was charged with fleeing, theft, failure to comply, driving while under suspension and receiving stolen property.

Potter was transported to Southeastern Med for a medical evaluation of non-life threatening injuries before being conveyed to the Guernsey County Jail. No officers were injured as a result of incident.

According to a press release issued by the Patrol's Public Information Unit, the chain of events began early Friday morning when officers of the Canton Police Department advised they were pursuing a stolen, black, Ford Explorer on Interstate 77. They advised that there may have been a weapon in the vehicle.

After Canton Police ended that pursuit, troopers spotted the SUV at milepost 87. It exited the interstate, stopped for gas and, after fueling, drove away allegedly without the driver paying for the fuel.

Troopers initiated their pursuit on I-77 in Tuscarawas County at milepost 83 (by the Dover exit). The time was about 5:15 a.m.

From there, the pursuit headed south into Guernsey County as the Explorer accelerated to a speed as high as 95 mph. At milepost 49 (about two miles north of U.S. 22), troopers deployed spike strips that punctured a front tire of the vehicle. However, the vehicle continued traveling southbound and exited I-77 onto U.S. 22 eastbound.

The disintegrating tire made the vehicle unstable. That fact, coupled with an increasing amount of surrounding traffic near Salt Fork Park, convinced troopers to take an additional measure: They used a cruiser to make physical contact with the suspect vehicle in an effort to safely end the pursuit.

As a result of the maneuver, the Explorer overturned and came to a stop on its side.

Mindful of the earlier Canton Police report of a possible weapon in the vehicle, authorities closed portions of Cadiz Road before approaching the suspect vehicle with caution. Initial reports from law enforcement -- that another individual, possibly a hostage, was inside the vehicle along with the suspect -- were inaccurate.

When the suspect was reportedly observed wielding a handgun, negotiators were called to the scene. Potter subsequently surrendered without further incident. The weapon was actually an airsoft gun.

He was taken into custody at about 9:30 a.m. The investigation is continuing.

Staff writer Rick Stillion contributed to this article.