With the busy holiday season approaching, the American Red Cross encourages donors to give blood now to help ensure a sufficient supply for patients this winter.
Between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, many regular donors delay giving due to holiday activities and travel. This often decreases the amount of donated blood available for patients.
More donations are needed in the weeks leading up to the holidays to help stock the shelves. Give patients in need another reason to be thankful – make an appointment to give blood.
Download the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800- 733-2767).
Those who come to give blood in Central Ohio Region Nov. 1-22 can enter to win two tickets to the Ohio State vs. Michigan football game on Nov. 25 in Ann Arbor.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities include:
• Nov. 3 — Coshocton Regional Medical Center, 1460 Orange St., Coshocton, 1 to 6 p.m.
• Nov. 13 — New Castle Church, 32421 Route 36, Walhonding, 2 to 8 p.m.
• Nov. 7 — Southeastern Med, 1341 N. Clark St., Cambridge, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 2 to 7 p.m.
• Nov. 10 — Woodlawn Dental Center, 1109 Woodlawn Ave., Cambridge, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Nov. 10 — Guernsey County Senior Center, 1022 Carlisle Ave., Cambridge, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Nov. 15 — Zane State Cambridge, 9900 Brick Church Road, Cambridge, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Nov. 1 — St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 121 S. College St., Newcomerstown, 2 to 7 p.m.
All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood.
High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass ® to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, from a computer or mobile device.
To get started and learn more, visit redcrossblood.org/RapidPass and follow the instructions on the site.