Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SYRIAN FORCES RETAKE REBEL TOWN NEAR DAMASCUS
The Russian military says the Syrian government is now in full control of eastern Ghouta, site of a suspected chemical attack over the weekend.
2. WHO ARE FAVORITES TO SUCCEED PAUL RYAN
California Rep. Kevin McCarthy, known as a strong fundraiser, and Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise, viewed as more conservative, are the top contenders to become House speaker.
3. WHAT MIKE POMPEO IS SAYING ABOUT RUSSIA
The hard-charging CIA director, Trump’s pick to be the next secretary of state, says years of soft U.S. policy toward Moscow are "now over."
4. AP: TABLOID PAID EX-DOORMAN FOR SPIKED TRUMP TIP
The company that publishes the National Enquirer paid a former doorman at one of Trump’s New York skyscrapers $30,000 during the presidential campaign for a tip about Trump it never ran.
5. GAZA’S HOSPITALS TAXED BY WOUNDED FROM ISRAELI FIRE
Palestinian health officials say nearly 1,300 people have been shot and wounded by Israeli soldiers during mass border protests over the past two weeks.
6. DETAILS OF FBI RAID ON COHEN COME TO LIGHT
A search warrant sought records of Trump attorney Michael Cohen’s communications with the Trump campaign as part of what appeared to be an examination of his efforts to quell potentially damaging information about the candidate, the AP learns.
7. 5 YEARS AFTER BOSTON BOMBING, ANTI-EXTREMISM EFFORTS FALTER
Federally funded community programs to prevent attacks by homegrown extremists are barely underway and face an uncertain future.
8. CHINA CALLS TRUMP TARIFF MOVE ‘UNILATERAL COERCION‘
Xi Jinping’s promises to cut import duties on cars and open China’s markets wider were not intended as an overture to settle a tariff dispute with Washington, Beijing officials say.
9. BRANDS BENEFIT FROM ‘MEGHAN EFFECT‘
Next month’s royal wedding is a boon for clothing designers, florists, bakers and tiara makers — but also a bonanza for the broader British economy.
10. NBA PLAYOFFS MATCHUPS ARE SET
And some marquee rematches await — including a repeat of last year’s Western Conference final between Golden State and San Antonio.