NEW PHILADELPHIA — The third and final defendant in the Sept. 11 murder of Luke W. Cabbage has pleaded guilty to charges of involuntary manslaughter and conspiracy as part of a negotiated plea agreement.

Kyle G. Boyd, 23, entered the pleas Friday before Tuscarawas County Common Pleas Judge Edward O'Farrell, who scheduled sentencing for July 6.

"Discussions of a plea have been ongoing, but when Boyd agreed to the resolution, the hearing was scheduled quickly," said Tuscarawas County Prosecutor Ryan Styer.

A second count of conspiracy and firearms specifications attached to three charges are to be dismissed at sentencing, under terms of the plea agreement.

Tuscarawas County Prosecutor Ryan Styer said his office is recommending Boyd be sentenced to seven years in prison, the same sentence given to co-conspirator Jordan C. Robinson, 20, of Bloomingdale, who pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter, aggravated robbery and conspiracy in March.

The gunman, Arnoldo Moreno-Orduno, 19, of Dillonvale, was sentenced in December 2017 to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years for killing Cabbage with a single gunshot to the back.

Boyd, of Mingo Junction, was scheduled to go to trial today for his role in the death of the 19-year-old New Philadelphia man, who was killed in an armed robbery that occurred during a drug deal. Boyd faced two counts of involuntary manslaughter and two counts of conspiracy.

"A similar sentence to Robinson is fair given the evidence as it has developed," said Assistant Prosecutor Mike Ernest.

Prosecutors and police said that although Moreno-Orduno was the principal offender, Boyd and Robinson knew it would be an armed robbery and participated minimally in the actual robbery and shooting.

"Moreno-Orduno was instrumental in planning the armed robbery, acquired the pistol, wielded the pistol during the robbery, and chased down and shot Cabbage in the back when the robbery went wrong," Ernest said.

Cabbage was found dead in Newcomerstown three-and-a-half hours after he had been shot.

"We have worked closely with Luke’s mother, she was aware of the discussions, and she is aware of the nature of the evidence. We are grateful that these cases are approaching finality, and mindful that Luke’s mother’s loss is unimaginable." Ernest said.

Boyd remains free on a personal recognizance bond.

He was represented by attorney Steven Stickles of Steubenville.

Nancy Molnar is a staff writer for The Times-Reporter, Dover-New Philadelphia.