TEN YEARS AGO - 2008
The Cy Young Days Festival was set to get under way with Cy Young Award winner Dean Chance to be the Parade Marshall.
The Newcomerstown Moose Lodge was to celebrate its 95th anniversary during the Cy Young Festival with a picture from the 1950’s showing Cy Young with Don Porcher of Newcomerstown and Chester Sharrock, a former mayor of Newcomerstown.
Pastor Steve Young is pictured painting the "Light of the Valley Ministry" at the corner of Canal and Bridge streets.
Newcomerstown council was debating the benefits of having a village employee labor pool and having a village planner to manage the labor pool.
Paul Haver of Newcomerstown was celebrating his 90th birthday.
Marie DeLong was going to celebrate her 80th birthday with a card shower.
David Kadri was hired as a new village administrator for West Lafayette.
Deaths: Raymond L. Milligan, 82, West Lafayette.
The Bakersville Presbyterian Church was to celebrate its 175th anniversary on June 29.
Alan Bambeck was presented the first "red jacket" at the fourth annual Thomas R. Little Memorial Golf Tournament. The presentation was made by Dr. Terry Overholser.
There was a 3 on 3 Hoop Fest at the West School parking lot in Newcomerstown.
Rachel Miller and Ryan Miller were presented scholarships by the Newcomerstown Rotary Club.
Newcomerstown held its annual Relay for Life, with pictures in The News by William Casteel, correspondent.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1998
Construction begins in July on N. College St. strip mall for Subway sandwich shop and other businesses.
Bill Ourant of Ourant Funeral Home honored by Ohio Funeral Directors Association for 50 years of business in Newcomerstown.
Indian Valley Board of Education first in the area to approve mandatory drug testing for student athletes.
Village of Baltic celebrating 150th Homecoming Aug. 14-15.
Huprich TV & Appliance in West Lafayette closing July 1.
Married: Mr. and Mrs. Edgar E. ( A. Charlene) Schupp, Gnadenhutten, 50th anniversary, July 3; Mr. and Mrs. Don (Marge) Courtwright, Port Washington, 60th anniversary, June 11.
Deaths: Donald Herbert II, 22; Sherel R. Peeper, 75; Viola M. Peebles, 89; Jerry R. Christman, 60; Dorothy M. Hursey, 68.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1988
Father Robert Manning leaving St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church in Newcomerstown for assignment at Sacred Heart in New Philadelphia.
Morgan Pharmacy of Newcomerstown celebrating 40th anniversary of business.
West Lafayette Homecoming included crowning of three queens: Jennifer Porteus, Senior Queen; Tiffany Whitehawk, Junior Queen; and, Amber Rehard, Mini Queen.
Married: Linda Veit and David M. McCullough, May 27; Mr. and Mrs. Robert (Marcella) Parks, Newcomerstown, 50th anniversary, June 8; Mr. and Mrs. Edwin (Mary Dale) Lapp, West Lafayette, 50th anniversary, July 11.
Deaths: Ron L. Keating, 46; Marvin K. Loader, 79; William M. Mathers, 83; Gertrude Schake, 79.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1978
Open house July 8-9 at new Riverside Manor Nursing and Care Center in Newcomerstown.
Monsignor Ambrose L. Freund, pastor of St. Francis de Sales in Newcomerstown since 1969, to retire July 11 after 27 years of serving Catholic parishes in Tuscarawas County.
Work started at Lee Stadium changing the track from 440-yard (quarter mile) to 400 meter track.
Two local men charged in connection with armed robbery at Postel’s Grocery in Plainfield.
Port Washington-Salem Historical Society organized with Erma Sullivan elected president.
Married: Teresa Lynn Casey and Gary Edwin Baker, June 10; Teresa Hassinger and Rick Teter, June 10; Marian Koller and Gerald Carruthers, June 10; Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Hafner, Florida, formerly of Newcomerstown, 63rd anniversary, June 20; Mr. and Mrs. Louis (Pearl) Jacops, Newcomerstown, 50th anniversary.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1968
Members of Tri-County VHF Radio Assn. hold annual field day on Brode’s Hill making some 700 contacts with other amateur radio stations in a nationwide contest.
Tuscarawas County Sheriff A.J. "Tony" Young issued July 4th holiday warning against use/possession of fireworks.
Tornado seen near Newcomerstown - touched down in Cambridge with minor damage and no injuries reported.
Don Brown won first place and Rick Sharrock, second, in Lenzo Studio model car contest.
Jim Tufford of Bob & Jim’s Shell Service won the Gates Mystery Car Award plaque.
Married: Julie Ann Najm and Robert P. Wearsch; Patricia Sue Schlarb and Frank Matchett; Carol Mahley and Clarence J. Harper; Jane Pickering and John T. Lucadamo.
Deaths: Jody Rae Hanshaw, infant daughter of Jerry and Judy Hanshaw; Mrs. Margaret Johns, 89; Glenn White, 55; Mrs. Margaret Danemiller, 85.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1958
Miss Cynthia Roeder, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald B. Roeder, appointed to station of Grand Service-State of Ohio at 27th session of Grand Assembly of Order of Rainbow for Girls in Columbus.
Robert Leonhard apointed faculty manager of athletics by Board of Education.
Rev. John Fabian installed as pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church.
Deaths: Rev Walter Clark, 81; Sylvester Parks, 87; R.R. Bennett.
Married: Miss Joann Cutshall and Donald Hannahs; Miss Nancy Nigro and Joseph T. Coste; Miss Judy Stewart and Roger Hart; Miss Norma Jane Booth and William Reasoner.
Deaths: Thomas Cores; Irvin E. Mizer, 96; Mrs. Millicent Corbet, 74; Mrs. Eva May Infield, 86; W. Ledlie Pollock, 72; Flint R. hardy, 71; Melvin (Mossie) Thompson, 58.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1948
Melvin Hashman, Cherry St., elected to fill council vacancy.
Council passes resolution to start action to sell bonds for park pool.
Married: June Swigert and Edward J. Tilton Jr.; Twila Black and Lorin Schworm; Ruth Ann McCune and Lyle Swigert; Cora Clemens and Harold Milligan; Doris Gross and Ervin W. Maurer, Mr. and Mrs. John B. Johnson, 422 Cross St., 64th anniversary; Miss Shirley Curby and Andrew Yousko Jr.; Miss Helen Treasure and F. Barnett Jones; Miss Wilma Fortune and John B. Patterson.
Deaths: Mrs. Dora King, 69; Mrs. Martha Baker, 84; of Plainfield; Smith Lee Porcher.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1938
A.C. May resigns as high school principal here to accept position with Martins Ferry Schools.
Coach Dave Gorby resigns to accept position in Cambridge Schools.
First steps taken for a swimming pool at Warner Gravel pit.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1928
Three cows belonging to a A.G. Gaskill are killed when struck by lightning.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1918
William Opphile, 53, killed by rock fall in the Haver mine.