It’s been some 30 plus years in the making but the Newcomerstown School Board was recently able to take action with monies from the Lee Trust Fund.
The Lee Trust Fund was set up by the late Atty. Vernon E. Lee and his wife, Edith, to benefit the Newcomerstown Exempted Village School District and Christ United Methodist Church in Newcomerstown.
When the Board of Education met, members asked the district treasurer to request release from Huntington Bank the balance of the Lee Stadium Trust Account and remit the amount to the school district. The funds of $1 million were to be deposited into the Education Trust Fund with balance being deposited into a Lee Trust Fund in the district.
The Board also approved cafeteria prices for the 2018-19 school year. The prices are as follows: Breakfast is free to all grades. Lunch is free for East Elementary students (grades K-1). West Elementary (grades 2-5) lunch price is $2.90, with reduced lunches at .40 cents. Middle School (grades 6-8) lunch price is $2.90, with reduced lunch price at .40 cents. High School (grades 9-12) lunch price is $2.90, with reduced lunch price at .40 cents. Adult lunch price is $3.25. Extra milk is .50 cents, and an ala carte menu will be offered.
The board also approved:
• Equal sharing of cost between Board of Education and Newcomerstown Teacher’s Association for the service pins which will be awarded at the luncheon on August 17.
• A Trust Agreement with Newcomerstown Schools and the Thomas R. Little Memorial Fund.
• The Reasonable Individualized Suspicion policy (concerning drug and alcohol testing) for school athletes and students who utilize parking on school property.
• Supt. Jeff Staggs as Title VI Coordinator for Newcomerstown Exempted Village School District for the 2018-19 school year.
• Chris Lipinski as 504 Coordinator for the school district for 2018-19 school year.
• The following SLO committee members for 2018-19 contract, at a $973 stipend: Brian Collins, Sarah Johnson, Marca Porter, Danelle Simmerman- East Elementary. Erin Peoples, Marjorie Hursey, Regina Schilling- West Elementary. Carol Boltz, Myra Marinucci, Jason Peoples- Middle School. Josh Branch, Steven Pritchard, Jeff Baker, Dirk Gadd, Seth Corder- High School.
• Resident Education/ Mentor assignments for the 2018-19 school year. Year 1- Michelle Love mentoring Andrew Nichols, Lorraine George mentoring Ian Morrow, Steffanie Richter mentoring Alicia Patrick, Angela Decaminada mentoring Josh Green. Year 2- Mark George mentoring Rachel Cathey. Year 3 RESA- Richelle Lefler mentoring Andrew Hall, and Chase Addy. Year 4 Leadership- Jason Peoples mentoring Samantha Jones, Julie Beitzel, Matt Davis, Ashley Shugars, and Tyler Kiner.
• Accepting the resignation of Amy Baker, pre-school aide, effective Aug. 8, 2018.
• Request for Katrina Miller to be on maternity leave, tentatively starting Sept. 17.
• Volunteers for the 2018-19 school year: Matt Davis- Varsity Football, Jason Bryant- Varsity Football.