A new job position was recently approved by Newcomerstown village council to help complete clerical tasks within the administrative department. The new job position will be a part time status, and council approved a budget of $20,000 for the salary. The village will post the position, and are hoping to have the position filled within the next month.
The responsibilities of the new position include: taking phone calls, and relaying messages, researching requested information, and remitting the information to the proper individuals requesting the information, filing, and maintaining village files, preparing permits, obtaining approval/ or denial for permits from the Mayor and collecting and receipting the fees for the permit, completing correspondence for the Mayor and the Fiscal Officer, working with the Pioneer Programming for the computer/ telephone systems for the village offices, communicate and relay information for the Tuscarawas and Coshocton County courts, submitting the monthly ordinances to the American Legal Ordinance, maintaining a collective schedule for the administrative and community calendars, managing the Cy Young Park shelter reservations, and maintain the schedule for the reservations, order supplies (on-line, by phone, or local pick-up), manage the mail (preparing outgoing mail, pick-up mail), banking (drop-off, and receipting), complete community service paperwork, routine cleaning, and preparing administrative offices, and other necessary work space for the office, assistance to efficiently maintain the administrative process.
The hired individual must be able to effectively work with computer, copier and fax, postage stamp meters and typewriter. The individual must have a combination of training/or work experience that possesses skill, knowledge, and ability for basic accounting, banking, office tasks and procedures. They must work well with the public in person, by telephone or computer, and must be able to maintain confidentiality of all interactions, and other information utilized for the village’s business.
Other business discussed by council during the Sept. 17 meeting included:
• approved the annual village Trick or Treat to be scheduled for Oct. 27 from 4-6 p.m.
• approved the village Chamber of Commerce Trick or Treat for Oct. 26, from 3:30-5 p.m.
• gave second reading on an animal nuisance law for the village. This is in regards to previous concerns voiced by village residences concerning over-population of feral cats being kept by residents.
• During council’s Sept. 4 session, it was announced that Cassandra McKay was hired for the water department office position which will be vacated by Shirley Hayes when she retires next month.
• Also from the Sept. 4 session, council approved the resignation of Steve Lower as park manager, which was effective for Aug. 27. Council recognized Lower’s past 20 years of service to the village.
The next council session is scheduled for Oct. 1.