WEST LAFAYETTE — The Ridgewood Local School Board met recently and Tony Griffith was appointed to the vacant seat on the Board of Education and sworn in.
The Board recognized and gave commendations for the following:
• Ridgewood High School Student Council and advisors Savannah Slusser and Rebecca Wells for the outstanding work for the Senior Citizens Holiday Luncheon. Approximately 250 people attended.
• Ridgewood High School Drama Dept. and advisors Jill Collins and Haley Evans for the production of the " Somewhat True Story of Robin Hood."
• Ridgewood Middle School Drama Dept. and Alex Mullen advisor, for their Christmas Play performances.
• Strive Class and Andi Dobbins, teacher, for the Wax Museum portrayal of famous people.
The Board approved the following items presented by Treasurer Jay Tingle:
• November financial report.
• School wide pool fund.
• Update on investment management with RedTree Investment Group.
• ACA rates 9.86% beginning February 2019.
• Received donations from Pearl Valley Cheese ($20), Crazy Aces Trophies ($30), Unusual Junction ($50), ALR Insurance ($250), Wen Mar Farms ($100), Jones Metal ($200), Home Loan and Savings ($25), and Auer Ace Hardware (Ice melt and Shoe Grippers) for the Senior Citizens Holiday Luncheon.
• John Bando Post 1330 VFW to RLSD Wrestling ($300), Music ($300), and Cheerleading ($250) departments.
• Flat Broke (clothing and supplies worth $275).
• A Resolution to accept the amounts and rates determined by the Budget Commission for the necessary tax levies and certifying them to the county auditor.
The Board approved the following items presented by Superintendent, Mike Masloski: (all new hires are pending successful FBI and BCI background reports, drug screening and proper certification)
• Substitutes for Classified positions: Cindy Patterson, Julianna (Baker) Snyder, Paige Patterson, and James Kirker.
• Afternoon shift custodian for RMS, James Kirker effective January 3, 2019.
• RES volunteer Martha Conrad
• Extending the RES after-school program to end at 5 p.m.
• Jack Lenhoff, RHS Asst. Wrestling Coach.
• Levi Masters as a Student Teacher for spring 2018-19 school year working with Co-op Teacher John Lindig.
• First Reading of policy revisions for 2261 and 2261.01 Title I and Parent and family participation in Title I.
• Legislative updates were discussed concerning HB 291, Treasurers Bonding; HB 491 Substitute Licensure, SRO Training, Alternative HS Graduation Requirements, Policy on Assignments missed due to suspension and Treasurer Licensure; the new Graduation Requirements for the class of 2019-2020.
A discussion was held concerning a field house. No action was taken.
The board heard a presentation by Sara McCurdy and Andi Dobbins about the Beyond the Bell (after school) Program, funded by the 21st Century Grant. The After School Program provides instruction for homework and clubs for the students to participate in and activities to expand learning. The activities include: A School Newspaper, Book Club, Drama Club, CSI, Chess and Ag.
The Board was then entertained by the 4th, 5th, and 6th Grade Choir directed by Jennifer Hall and accompanied by Jane Crow. The Board joined Mr. Tyler McCullough’s class for cookie decorating.
The next Board meeting will be Friday, Jan. 4, 2019 at the Administration Building at 301 S. Oak St. West Lafayette. Budget meeting will be at 8 a.m., organizational meeting will be at 8:10 a.m., finance meeting will be at 8:45 a.m. and the board meeting at 8:45 a.m.