WEST LAFAYETTE — The Ridgewood Local School Board met in regular session at Ridgewood Elementary School on March 15. Superintendent Mike Masloski updated the board on several items relating to school safety that are ongoing throughout the district.
The following commendations were given with several elementary students and their parents present for the recognition with Mrs. Edwards, Art Teacher:
• Recognition was given to Grady Alan, first grade student who wrote a letter to Annin Flag Co. and told them about the worn out flag at the school. Annin responded by bringing a new flag to school that Grady helped raise at the Elementary School.
• Cameron Mladek for her 1st place award for this year’s Animal Awareness Dog poster
• Zoee Mullins, Astrid Ely, Ava McConnell, Callie Fechuch, Patience McCune, Vivian Williams, Chloe Wise, Alivia McConnell, Audrey Tubbs won the Father Initiative Art contest. Each student and their Father/Father figure won a painting party at the Pomerene Fine Arts Center. Their work will be on display at the annual Dogwood Art Festival.
• The following students for being selected to participate in the 2019 Annual Columbus Children’s Choir Choral Festival: (4th grade) Caleb Chiapetta, Jensen Cunningham Alyza Fender, Wesson McPherson, Charlotte Seibert, Genesis Jeffers, Karley Stocker, Kyndal Craigo; (5th grade) Lucy Grimmett, Kaleb Nettles, Sophia Dunn, Keira Schrock, Addison Lahmers, Cody Croy, Emily Maple, Rilyn Medley, Ava Rauh; (6th grade) Kaylee Kunzee, Emily Fechuch, Natalee Cunningham, Zoey Alan.
• Vivian Williams, second place, and Madelyn Klier, third place in the Ohio Transportation Art Project contest.
• Jesse Maple winning the Division III 108 pound Jr. High State Wrestling Championship.
The Treasurer’s report was approved as presented. Donations accepted from Patti Thompson $55 for the Drama Dept.; and Lion’s Club $750 to Ridgewood Elementary School.
Superintendent Mike Masloski presented the following items that were approved by the board:
• Rescinded the supplemental contract of Sally Sharier, Asst. JV Softball Coach;
• Recognized the Joint Statement by the Muskingum Valley Business Advisory Council; Volunteer Chastity Clark for softball; Heather Kinsey, Jr. Hi Asst. Track Coach, Steffinee Powers, Asst. JV Softball Coach;
• 2019/2020 School Calendar as presented;
• 3rd Grade State Assessment for 2019-2020 school year to administer English Language Arts and Mathematics in a paper format; First reading of several district policies;
• A resolution to proceed with the next step for an athletic field house facility.
Wendy Croy and Autumn Hendershot gave a presentation on the Collins Writing project. With the training of staff members, student achievement had dramatically improved in their writing performance.
The next meeting will be April 15, at 7 a.m. at the Administration Building, 301 S Oak St., West Lafayette.
Board members said they enjoyed visiting Mrs. Posey’s Kindergarten classroom and Mr. Larr’s 1st Grade classroom. All members were present. The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance. The minutes of the February 19, 2019 Finance meeting and Board Meeting were approved.