Everals is a small, one-time village with roots dating to the early 1800's. It was originally settled in what was early Oxford Township, Tuscarawas County and later split off to become Oxford Township, Coshocton County. In 2018, Everals Chapel hosted a 150th anniversary celebration and recently was recognized by the State of Ohio.
By the 1830's Everals grew around the newly completed Ohio and Erie Canal as local farmers would sell grain and farm produce for shipment on the canal to the neighboring towns and cities. The area was also known as Coal Port, as the farmers would mine plentiful coal for sale, from the surrounding hill. The village was never incorporated or platted, as was the very nearby village of Evansburg.
The village of Evansburg was a prosperous and growing village that included mills, a dry goods store, a tannery and other concerns that popped up to serve the growing needs of the community. Many families from the Everals community would no doubt make the short walk to Evansburg for supplies and to sell or trade goods.
The founder of Evansburg was one Isaac Evans. Under the old Ohio constitution, three citizens of Coshocton County were commissioned by the governor of the state to occupy the bench as associate judges. Isaac Evans lived at Evansburg, Oxford township with a term of seven years. Isaac Evans served from 1811 – 1816, He also served as an officer in the war of 1812. Isaac Evans was the central figure of this settlement, and was a man whose influence was felt in all parts of the county. Soon after he moved out, he purchased a tract of land and built his cabin south of the river, close to the bank, just across from Evansburg. The high waters which rose and surrounded his cabin soon after obliged him to move farther back from the river. He raised and commanded an company during the war of 1812, serving under General Harrison.
Isaac's brother Henry, who accompanied him here from Virginia (West Virginia), purchased a farm adjoining his on the east, and being a bachelor, spent his days in solitude there, engaged in farming and stock raising.
Quite a colony of early settlers were from near Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. Perhaps the earliest of them was Philip Waggoner, who came to Oxford Township in 1806. The area today is a prime corn growing area, as it has remained since the early settlers came. The village of Evansburg has faded into history, as many of the inhabitants found it necessary to move down river a short distance to what is now known as Orange. The village of Orange is slowly dwindling in inhabitants and structures, and upcoming generations will soon no longer recognize the place as a village.
Many owners and canal boat captains used locks 22 and 23 at and near Evansburg as a base of operations. These include canal boat “Asia of Evansburg,” previously known as “Susan of Evansburg,” owned by A. Cheadle; canal boat “J.B. Watkins,” of Evansburg, formerly “Albany of Cleveland”; canal boat “Black Rock of Evansburg” previously “the J.W. Watkins,” owned by John W. Ricket; canal boat “Echo of Evansburg,” formerly the “Resistable,” owned by John Richmond; ”canal boat “Casket of Dover,” whose owner was George Tregent; and canal boat “Mount Etna of Evansburg,” previously the “Allegheny of Dover” owned by John B. Stint.
John and Ann Everal played a key roll in the development of the village of Everals. John and Ann Everal came to the area of Oxford Township, just west of Newcomerstown, in the late 1820's. The young couple had resided in Bolivar for a short time, and after the death of their first son, moved to the area at the urging of John's friend, a Mr. Kline (possibly spelled Cline). Both men were industrious and soon increased the net worth of the families, Mr. Kline selling his property to Everal and moving on. John and Ann stayed in Oxford Township raising a family of seven.
John was the son of Richard Everal and was born March 8, 1800 in Sheffield, Shropshire, England. He died Feb. 26, 1875 in Newcomerstown. He married Ann Evans of Mainstone, Shropshire, England, daughter of Isaac Evans. It is not known if the Isaac Evans (founder of Evansburg) who lived nearby, was a brother or her father. She was born in 1809 in Llanybell, Carmarthenshire, Wales, and died 26 January 1868 at the Kline Farm, Adams Township, Coshocton County. Ohio. After Ann died, John married Matrha Varner on Feb. 25, 1869 in Newcomerstown. Martha, the widow of his friend, Mr. Rodney, was born 1818 in Ohio, and died in 1896. The Rodney family was close friends of the Everals and had a large farm nearby. Martha and John moved to Newcomerstown, where they lived out the golden years of their lives.
The Everals were only one of the neighborhood families from England, and included others with surnames of Smith Tudor the English born no doubt shared many old world traditions and customs. The Tudor descendants claim connections to the royal line of Tudor.
The Everals were followers of the Wesleyan Christian belief. J.W. Everal, the second son wrote in his biography that his mother seemed to be the driving force in the family. Ironically, Ann Everal dreamed of a formal church building to replace the community school used as a church meeting house. The Church was completed the year of Ann's death without her seeing it. Along with her husband John, Ann instilled a strong work ethic and strong belief in the family and in God. The children carried this work ethic throughout their life, This tradition is prevalent in the descendants living today.
J.W. Everal or John Wesley Everal was one of the early industrialists of Westerville, where his restored homestead is visited by thousands each year. Much of the early history of the little village of Everals is documented in J.W. Everals biography.
The old historical Everals Church celebrated 150 years in the Everal community in 2018. The chapel is maintained by the “Everals Chapel Preservation Society.” Those interested in helping maintain the old Chapel can join the organization. Membership is $12 per year. For more information, call 740-498-5636.