Excerpts from the July 5, 1871, Volume 2, Number 28, edition of The Newcomerstown Visitor reveal interesting life in the village almost a hundred and fifty years ago. The newspaper which was Newcomerstown’s very first newspaper was owned by Johns, Beech, and Beers at that time, and was published in a building that was once located where Dick’s Place is now, at the corner of Bridge & Canal Street.
Some of the excerpts and business advertising are as follows (as printed):
• Attention is Called-- To the notice of dissolution of the firm Johns, Beech, and Beers. Mr Beers retiring.
• Accident-- Lorin, the youngest son of Mrs. Oliver A. Vogenitz fractured a collar bone yesterday. It seems that the little fellow was swinging on a banister in the house, and in some manner fell and produced the injury mentioned.
• Planing Mill—Wilkin, Ayers, & Dryden, Chestnut Street, sash, doors, blinds, lath, and shingles. Scroll work and turning done to order. Coffins of all kinds kept on hand. Funerals attended with hearse when solicited.
• New Meat Market—Northwest corner of Bridge & Canal Street, under Visitor Office. Williams & Vickers.
• Leather—Boots and shoes. Cash paid for hides, skins, and sheep pelts. G.R. Little’s near the lower Canal Street bridge. Southwest corner of Canal & River Street.
• Gone—Our foreman, Captain Ed Lepper, the champion pressman and great American bear fighter has left us. The captain is a tip-top workman, a genial fellow, but he would go a fishin’ on the Fourth of July.
• Woolen factory—James Pilling informs the citizens of Newcomerstown and vicinity that he is now prepared to do a full line of carding and spinning. Woolen goods of all kinds on sale. Factory is one mile east of town.
Watch for future editions of the Newcomerstown News featuring more excerpts from The Newcomerstown Visitor 1871 editions.