The date was May 23, 1949 and it was 8 p.m., there are 74 Newcomerstown High School senior class members eagerly awaiting their diplomas. The high school was then located in the building now occupied by the Newcomerstown Middle School on State Street. Graduation was held on the stage in the large auditorium. The class held their baccalaureate services the day before, with Reverends George Shurtz, Glen Cornell of the Trinity Methodist Church, and J.J. Wagner of the Evangelical United Bretheran Church (also known as the EUB Church), and Henry Holyoak giving the sermon for the service.
The class’s colors are blue & gold, and the class flower, a yellow rose. The class’s motto "Nothing great is achieved without enthusiasm". The class officers for the senior year were Bradley Guy, President, Richard Hannahs, Vice-President, Phyllis Smyth, Secretary, and Audrey Hashman, Treasurer. Hannahs and Smyth were also the Homecoming King & Queen for the senior year.
Some of the high school teachers that year included: Wallace Bower, Claude Hinds, Christina MacMillan, Clelia Mercer, Awilda Phillips, Elizabeth Portz, Elieen Duff, Jack Russell, Eugene Riffle, Farril Sharrock, and Donald Wolff. The principal was Franklin Gottfried, and superintendent was Donald Roeder. The Newcomerstown School Board consisted of Earl Titus, Frank Powell, John Atkinson, Leslie Besst, and Dr. C. A. Hanson.
On Aug. 21, 2019 seven members (of 12 still living) of the class met at April’s for a luncheon and to celebrate seventy years since they graduated, and went out into the world. Some went onto college, some married and started raising families, and some went to the armed service as it was during the time that the Korean War was in full force.
Over the years, the class held a reunion every five years. The class did not hold a five year anniversary reunion, but met at Cy Young Park for a picnic on August 18, 1958 with sixty-three members in attendance, to plan for their tenth anniversary reunion. The class held their ten year reunion on August 22, 1959 at the Buckhorn Grange Hall at Wolf, Ohio. Seventy-two class members attended. The class held their fifteen year reunion at Stoffer’s Restaurant that was formerly located across from the Barber Civic Center on east State Street. A dance was held at the Elk’s Lodge later that evening. The class held it’s twentieth, twenty-fifth, and thirty year reunions at the Delphian Motor Inn that was formerly located in New Philadelphia. Class members Don Fenton and Audrey (Groff) Hanni were mentioned as being instrumental in doing a lot of the foot-work for the class reunions over the years.