Prior to 1901, the village of Newcomerstown relied completely on pumps, water wells, and cisterns for obtaining their drinking water. Sewage, and waste water was disposed of by discarding it directly into the ground, or into the Tuscarawas River. During that time there were no indoor bathrooms, everyone had a privy (also known as an outhouse) that they used for toileting purposes. Folks would sometimes keep a china chamber pot in the bedroom at night in order to avoid trips to the outhouse at night, or during inclement weather conditions. They would simply use the chamber pot, which had a china lid, and someone in the family would be the lucky recipient of having the responsibility of emptying the chamber pot the next morning.
In 1901-02 the water system (referred to as the water works) was constructed in Newcomerstown by the Continental Water Works Company, located in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. The system was owned by what was known as the Newcomerstown Water Works.
In 1952, the village’s sewage system was connected to run-off lines which exited into the Tuscarawas River. The village, as well as other village’s at the time were given orders from Environmental Protection Agency that enclosed sewage systems must be constructed, and the river no longer utilized to dispose of waste water. The village’s sewage plant was later constructed west of town where it continues to operate to this day.
The clean water reservoir was constructed north of town on what is now designated as being Cricket Hill. The reservoir was located on a five acre tract and had a capacity of 2,600,000 gallons of water. In 1970 a 700,000 water tank was installed on Park Hill.
The village of Newcomerstown has since relocated the drinking water source to Stark Patent Road, east of town, where the village’s water wells, and treatment plant is now located.