The members of council, and Village of Newcomerstown recently received a brief presentation from Tuscarawas County Convention & Visitor’s Bureau, Dee Grossman, concerning the three percent municipal lodging taxes that the village collects from visitors staying in the hotel/motels that are located in the village corporation. Grossman said that the village has been staying steady with additional revenue from the many visitors that have been visiting the area. According to Grossman, the past few years the three percent municipal lodging taxes (also known as bed tax) that Newcomerstown has collected has totaled approximately $25K. Grossman said that the total for this year’s lodging taxes is about the same, and the revenue from visitors patronizing the hotel/motels, as well as other establishments in Newcomerstown, shows support of a steady revenue since 2016.

Grossman reported that the Newcomerstown Historical Society receives 25 percent of the lodging taxes each year, which equals to about $6,250 annually. According to the report, last year 20 buses, and over 3,000 persons visited the Olde Main Street Museum & Social Center, touring the museum, and attending the events that were presented by the society’s many dedicated volunteers. According to the state of Ohio travel and tourism departments, 80 percent of the visitors are day trippers and spend about $135 while the remaining 20 percent stay overnight in the hotels/motels, and spend $335. The visitors represent a total economic impact of $525K for Newcomerstown and Tuscarawas County.

Grossman said that the Tuscarawas County Convention & Visitor’s Bureau executives are requesting that the Village of Newcomerstown allocate 35 percent to the Historical Society (which will provide $2,500). The extra funding will help increase bus tours by ten percent which will impact Newcomerstown with $52,500 in revenue from the hotels, restaurants, wineries, and other establishments that the visitors are patronizing while in Newcomerstown.

The bureau is also requesting that the village also allocate 25 percent to ArtNCT, which would contribute $6,250 to help area students that are interested in the arts industry. There are currently 52 students at ArtNCT. The classes provided by the art center are at no charge, and are supporting students in creative writing, video story telling, Set andTheater design.

The remaining 40 percent from the lodging taxes are recommended to be utilized for the boat ramp, bicycle park, and art park at the planned park and walking trail on the former Heller-Simonds property.

Grossman said that pending any additional revenue from the taxes the village should consider it to be allocated for the following programs/ presentations that are beneficial to Newcomerstown:

Vane Scott’s ‘Many Faces of Old Glory’ program that is presented to area students each year.

Summer Art Camp- Kid’s Kamp.

Heller Brothers, and Chief Netawatwees presentations that are also presented to area students to educate them on the historical aspects of Newcomerstown.