WEST LAFAYETTE — The Ridgewood Board of Education and Athletic Director Matt Colvin recently recognized several students and staff for their outstanding performance on and off the field during the fall sports season.
Those recognized by sport or activity included:
• Cross Country — Trevor Hawkins, Eastern District Cross Country All Star Team, Academic all-Eastern District, Inter-Valley Conference first team and regional qualifier; Alana Shroyer, IVC Honorable Mention IVC.
• Girls’ soccer — Mickenzie Spangler, Eastern District first team; Anna Trimmer and Adrianna Flores, Eastern District second team; Hailey Davis and Ally Blevens, Eastern District honorable mention. The girls team received the All-State Team Academic Award with a 3.57 grade-point average, and hosted a tournament game for the first time, which they won.
• Boys’ golf — Trey Stoffer, IVC first team, District qualifier, Eastern District first team and Academic All-Ohio; Cody Ramsey, IVC honorable mention.
• Girls’ golf — Lexi Zimmer, IVC first team, District qualifier and Eastern District first team; Ally Dodson, IVC honorable mention.
• Volleyball — Aleeah Cabot, IVC first team; District 5 Coaches first team and All-Star Game participant; Jaelyn McGee, IVC second team, District 5 Coaches second team and All-Star Game participant; Carly Griffith, District 5 Coaches second team; Madisyn Colvin, IVC honorable mention and District 5 Coaches first team; and Hannah Maust, District 5 Coaches honorable mention. The team was IVC runners-up for the season.
• Football — Gabe Tingle, IVC first team and IVC "Player of the Year;" Kaden Smith, IVC first team and IVC "Defensive Back of the Year;" Koleten Smith, IVC first team; Isaiah Lamneck, IVC first team; Zack Prater, IVC first team; John Evin, IVC first team; Chase Minet, IVC second team; Conner Kunze, IVC second team; Bryce Prater, IVC second team; J.J. Durr, IVC honorable mention; and Coach John Glusser, IVC "Co-Coach of the Year." The team finished as IVC champions with a 10-0 overall record earning its fourth post season appearance in five years and third home playoff game.
• Ridgewood Marching Generals (Band) — Superior rating at the state competition under the direction of John Lindig. This is the 30th year the Marching Generals have received the outstanding rating at the state competition.
The Ridgewood Local School District and payroll Manager Karen Hicks were recognized by the State Teachers Retirement System as one of only 37 school districts with an excellent performance in completing estimated annual payroll for Fiscal Year 2020.
Kim Kehl was named Exemplary Educator of the Year by the Muskingum Valley Educational Service Center.
In other business:
Donations for the Ridgewood Marching Band included Dale Pfeiffer and Lesley J. Denig, $250 apiece in memory of Michelle Allen; Jim and Bev Bouscher, $100; Mitchell Unger and Larry Burton, $100; and James and Sandra Sycks, $25.
An anonymous $100 gift was received for the Quiz Team and a donation of coats, hats and gloves for students was made by the Flat Broke Bikers.
Board approved recommendations by Superintendent Mike Masloski for the 2019-20 school year included:
• Volunteers — Greg Lower, Scott Bardall and Kirby Shivers as RHS girls’ basketball coaches; Jack Lenhoff, RHS wrestling coach; Bill Angle, RMS wrestling coach; Troy Dolick and Ryan Gress, baseball coaches; and Margaret Darr, RES classroom.
• Supplemental contacts — Darrell Ball, girls’ junior varsity basketball coach and RHS girls track; Denny Varian, eighth grade girls’ basketball coach; Kasey Bethel, RHS assistant wrestling coach; Jason Prater, RMS boys’ track coach; John Slusser, RHS boys’ track coach; Jamie McCrea and Dan Smith, RHS assistant track coaches; Maria Prater , RMS girls’ track coach; Chad Lahna, head baseball coach; Travis Simmons, baseball assistant coach; and Dusty Shroyer, junior varsity/assistant baseball coach.
• Personnel — Arlene Mullett, district substitute.
Superintendent Masloski also updated the board regarding the radio tower used for bus communications in the district. The current location will continue to be in service after the land changed owners. An additional tower will be located in the Bakersville area in the future.
The board also approved services with West Lafayette Police Department; the eighth grade Washington D.C. trip on May 18-20, 2020; RHS 21 st Century Beyond the Bell Program trip to New York City on April 8-11; first reading of several policies; modification of the school calendar for two-hour early dismissals on Dec. 20 and Jan. 17, 2020; and use of Local Level Events for processing electronic payment for extra–curricular events.
No action taken following an executive session.
The next regular board meeting is scheduled for 7 a.m. Friday, Dec. 20 at Ridgewood Middle School.