TEN YEARS AGO - 2002
Approximately $6,000 worth of antique items were stolen out of the Herco Annex of the Temperance Tavern Museum in Newcomerstown between the months of December and June.
George Brode of Newcomerstown named to "Wall of Honor" at Newcomerstown High School.
A man was apprehended in Cambridge after he allegedly stole $2,000 worth of items from a Newcomerstown residence.
Sarah Mizer, Moon Township, and Matthew Swigert, Bakersville, announce their engagement and upcoming marriage on April 26, 2003.
Newcomerstown Rotarians review their trip to South Korea with club members.
Deaths: Patricia "Patty" C. Lehman, 48, Newcomerstown; Kohl Raymond Sharrock, stillborn infant, Newcomerstown; and Kenneth E. Lorenz, 70, Newcomerstown, formerly of Stone Creek.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1992
Kevin Couts, 24, Newcomerstown, was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident.
Sandi Mahaffey resigned from Newcomerstown Village Council.
Debbie Miller, Newcomerstown, was the winner of $100 in the Chamber of Commerce weekly Lucky Barrel drawing.
Dr. J.H. Waelde, Newcomerstown, received his 50-year membership award from the Newcomerstown Lions Club.
Deaths: Scot Dusenberry, 33; James C. "Buck" Brown, 55.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1982
Newcomerstown Village Council hired two new policemen, Rick Hall and Lorenzo Fowler.
Rev. W.O. Calvert presented the 1982 confirmation class of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Newcomerstown, including Todd Baker, Matthew Wolff, Michael Hilliard, Julie Loader, Larry Regula, and Bryan Hilliard.
The 60th anniversary of the Newcomerstown High School class of 1922 marked at a luncheon in the Settlement House Restaurant, Gnadenhutten, with 28 class members attending.
Nearly 100 Amish and their neighbors raised a barn in one day on the Dan Yoder farm near Birmingham.
Mrs. Charles (Ruth Ann) Rine was installed as president of the Newcomerstown Welcome Wagon Club.
Married: Victoria Ann Henry and Harold Curtis Davis, June 5; Mr. and Mrs. Chadwell R. Durbin, Guernsey R.D. 2, 60th anniversary, June 27.
Deaths: Bessie Ley, 94, West Lafayette; Raymond Snyder, 59, Kimbolton; Roy Miller Jr., 59, Clarington; Mrs. Clifford E. (Lelia) martin, 78; Edgar D. Wise, 65, Kimbolton; Earl J. Sharrock, 90.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1972
Village Council sets new rates for the Landfill and the Board of Public Affairs increases water rates.
Jim Tufford, co-owner of Bob and Jim's Shell Service, W. State Street, received an award from The Gates Rubber Company for exceptional customer service.
Lloyd Miller, principal of Newcomerstown Middle School, accepts position with New Philadelphia High School.
Dr. Dean Clark, registrar for Ohio State University and a former principal of Newcomerstown High School, returns from study trip in Middle East.
Msgr. A.E. Freund re-elected president of local Lions Club.
Deaths: Paul H. Lambes, 45; Jennie B. Asher, 88; Clarence Peters, 77; William M. Neal, 63; Otis McPherson, 80.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1962
Work under way on a $145,000 Ohio Fuel Gas Co. pipeline replacement project to improve natural gas service in Newcomerstown, Port Washington, and Gnadenhutten.
Ralph Allen Bender II, 12, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph A. Bender, Port Washington, R.D. 1, killed in Route 36 car-truck accident.
A pay ordinance of $4,203.55 is approved and ordered paid when council meets.
Deaths: Robert E. Salrin Sr., 78; Mrs. Lillie May Peoples, 86; William B. Starts, 86.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1952
Mercury rises to 100 degrees here.
Charles R. Leech receives a bachelor of arts degree cum laude at Kenyon College.
Gordon Jackson Pork, 13, is killed when his bicycle is struck by truck on Route 21 near the Guernsey County line.
Local Moose Lodge presents a lifeguard chair and two life buoys to Park Board.
Ross Starkey is appointed a member of the Village Council to succeed Roy Maneely.
BPW paints picnic tables at Cy Young Park.
Married: Gertrude Theresa Allman and Robert E. Lindell; Carolyn Wigfield and James W. Lehman; Mary Ellen Larrison and Harold Roahrig; Mr. and Mrs. V. Clark Everhart, Port Washington, golden wedding anniversary, June 15.
American Legion votes to sponsor Cub Scout Pack 24.
Deaths: Mrs. W.W. Ferbrache, 69; Rev. Charles Dyer, 65.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1942
Commander Warner Portz of the Port of Manila is reported missing in action.
Brick workers at Goshen Brick and Clay Co. are out on strike.
Council votes $100 to the casualty station to be located in the Lutheran church.
John Rippeth, oldest local resident, dies at age 94.
Chief Doc King, a full-blooded Cherokee Indian and former medicine man, dies at his home near Booth at age 107.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1932
Mrs. Chloe George has been employed as a teacher of Latin in the West Lafayette schools.
W.M. Brode is honored with a dinner at the Fountain Hotel on his 82nd birthday.
Miss Mildred Emerson and Dr. G.W. Murray married in Washington D.C.
Alumni banquet is attended by 200.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1922
Mrs. E.R. Davis of Mexico is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Miskimen, Church Street.
Smith Taylor of Champaign, Ill., and Miss Nellie Reitz are married.
Mrs. Lulu Geddes accepts position as music teacher in the Adrian, Mich., school.