TEN YEARS AGO - 2003
Tricia Long and Deisree Nicole Long were crowned 2003 Gnadenhutten Pioneer Princesses.
Guernsey County Airport receives $210,542 grant.
Specialist Nathan King of the 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart, Ga., returned to the United States on July 12 from serving in Iraq.
Maxine Law, owner of Maxine's Homemade Crafts and More, announces the opening of her new store.
Newcomerstown 14 and under softball -- Newcomerstown jumped out to an early 4-0 lead after the first two innings and never looked back in a 7-1 triumph over Coshocton.
TWENTY YEARS AGO - 1993
Extensive clean-up of debris under way after a mid-summer storm ripped through the local area. The storm provided spectacular lightning show and brought reports of funnel clouds, downed trees, and power outages.
New pressbox under construction at Lee Stadium.
Bob, Arlene and Brett Jacobs of Guernsey attended National Redbone Days in Holmesville where they showed Grand Champion Three Oaks Boone in the bench show and earned Grand Champion Class, first place zone and best overall Redbone out of 44 dogs entered.
Newcomerstown Public Library was compiling a collection of audio tapes to provide patrons with good books to listen to and to read.
Deaths: Betty Jane Belt, 64; Mary Jane Weingarth, 67; Grace Triplett, 81.
THIRTY YEARS AGO - 1983
Cong. Douglas Applegate informed Newcomerstown Mayor Dennis Belle the village was one of eight small Ohio cities to receive Urban Development Action Grants. The grant amounted to $100,000 and was to be loaned to Englefield Oil Corp. for construction of a 60-unit Dukes Inn Motel.
Bill Thompson of Newcomerstown was named the most valuable offensive player for the West team in the sixth annual Times-Reporter All-Star Football Game. The East squad won 14-9.
Fifth annual marching band contest and show was to be hosted by Newcomerstown at Lee Stadium Sept. 10.
Area students were gearing up for the start of a new school year with Newcomerstown students set to go back Aug. 30, and Ridgewood and Indian Valley South on Aug. 29.
Baker's grocery store on W. State Street announced plans for a 50s Day event on their parking lot with disc jockeys, sock hop, contests and prizes.
Kenneth Hammons, formerly Newcomerstown, named manager of Tech Plastics Custom Molding in Phoenix, Ariz.
FORTY YEARS AGO - 1973
William Belle, 70, is the winner in the Reeves Bank promotion. Belle was born Aug. 3, 1903, the day the bank was founded.
The Junior Guild wins first place in the float division of the West Lafayette Homecoming. Their float's theme depicted the song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree."
Woody Hayes is speaker for class of 1923 reunion.
Mary Lou Hill reigns as queen of the West Lafayette Homecoming.
Deaths: William Falls, former manager of the Scott Store; Christopher Sheppard, infant; Fritz Schwab, 72; Mrs. Albert Zimmer, 97.
FIFTY YEARS AGO - 1963
Electrical storm shuts off power in Newcomerstown for 2-1/2 hours.
Council sets date for Newcomerstown's Sesquicentennial for 1964.
Newcomerstown's Jaycees build picnic tables for Cy Young Park.
Girl Scouts participate in 12-day swimming course.
Deaths: Roe F. Powell, 61; Paul Schwab, 56; Mrs. G. Lorenz, 65; Mrs. Helen Reed, 74.
SIXTY YEARS AGO - 1953
John A. Murphy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Murphy, R.D. 1, attends ROTC Camp at Rome, N.Y.
Dr. Edwin Booth, Toledo, former Newcomerstown resident, opens office in Zanesville.
Mrs. Olive Medley resigns as village clerk; Ellsworth Brenneman to be appointed to the post by Mayor Gadd.
Charles Leech assumes duties as postmaster.
Mrs. Donald Doss and Mrs. Ralph Dovenbarger are hired by Board of Education.
Deaths: H.J. Lydick, 71; Byron Morrison, 70; Albert Thompson, 59.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO - 1943
Newcomerstown housing project approved. Town may get 105 new housing units.
Board of Education accepts resignation of Miss Mildred Miller, Miss Katherine Roy, Miss Eleanor Sperry and Miss Bertha Neighbor.
Miss Eileen Dillehay enlists in the WAVES.
Heller plant closes one week for inventory.
EIGHTY YEARS AGO - 1933
Council gets deed for Park Hill from Mrs. Mulvane.
Newcomerstown Elks win fifth place in ritualistic contest.
NINETY YEARS AGO - 1923
Mrs. Maude Scott sells Soda Grill to E. M. Carr.
Preparations being made to pave S. Bridge Street.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO - 1913
S.A. Emerson and E.J. Vierheller have a large truck patch on the old C.O.D. fairgrounds.
Tuscarawas County Chamber of Commerce discusses abandonment of the Ohio Canal.